Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebushing a Toshiba motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebushing a Toshiba motor

A while ago I could buy a Junghans Chrono Vox S cheaply because it was “a bit noisy”. This was a gross understatement as every minute it produced a terrifying screeching sound.

After opening the case it was clear I was not the first one in there. Someone had drilled four (!!!) holes in the motor in order to add oil. And as this did not work he/she gave up and did not even bother to seal the holes, so it was still leaking oil. Oh joy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2935.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	509.3 KB
ID:	26326
    To examine the issue I opened up the motor. My “tapping on the rim of the case” trick did not work, but using a knife I was still able to slowly wedge the lid out, albeit with a little damage.

Name:	P1020755.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	26327
    Holding the now naked mechanism in the field of the coil I could test what was going on. One of the gears had developed quite some lateral play and under load (typically every minute) it moved sideways and came in touch with a gear it was not supposed to. This caused the screeching noise.

At this point I had not much hope on a successful repair, but with nothing to loose I decided to go where I had not gone before and open up the gearbox. This works much the same as opening up a Copal gearbox, only smaller: drill out the three rivets just until you are able to lift the plate. To protect the vulnerable rotor while doing that work I made a temporary stand out of a piece of wood.

Name:	P1020761.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	26325

Now the worn out pivot point was clearly visible. I then did a bit of reading on the internet to learn how “real” clockmakers solve this issue. They apply a technique called “rebushing” which means drilling out a larger hole where the pivot hole was and pressing in a new brass bushing. A suitable bushing I found on AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305...d=4rBCqbE0z3JW
    I then increased the hole size using a drill and needle files. This is painstakingly slow and precise job as you need to make the hole with the exact correct size and position. In the end I got a bit impatient and thus ended up with a loose fit. Used a little epoxy glue to correct that mistake.

Name:	P1030356.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	26324

Final steps: reassembling, lubricating and sealing up the holes in the case with epoxy glue.

The motor has been running fine and silently for about a week now!
    And I learned a new skill (only hope I don't need it too often).

Another great fix! Thanks for documenting your efforts, I'm sure others will find this helpful. Also, it highlights the fact that "if there's a will, there's a way" when it comes to these sorts of repairs!

Comment

Maybe it is, but you first need to open it up to be sure. It could also be a broken gear or if you are lucky it only needs a good clean and fresh lubrication.

BTW: in the Toshiba all axles and small gears are made of metal and the large gears are plastic (at least that is my impression, not entirely sure of every gear). I once opened up a Telechron "S" (or rather destroyed it as I could not find a gentler way to open it) and this has the same construction: small gears and axle of metal, and the large gears are made of plastic and pressed on the metal axle. With the knowledge I have now I might have saved it. In hindsight I think it only needed a clean and lubrication, but in my attempts to get it going I used too much force and some plastic gears detached from the axle.

Comment

I had great difficulty removing that red seal on the Telechron "S". The best way I found was to use an old soldering iron as it appeared to become somewhat viscous when heated. This though only removed the seal on the exterior and whatever was in between the lid and the case still held the lid tightly in place. If I would have to do it again I would consider to cut the case open around the perimeter using a Dremel and then later on seal it using tape or glue. Or is there a better way?

Comment

That rebushing sounds interesting.... It have several Copal motors laying around that definitively need a rebushing...

Comment

That is indeed my next goal! Often Copal(-like) motors are noisy due to excessive play on the rotor axle and lubrication is not enough to solve the problem. I would like to try if I can replace these bushings. If that works we can replace all parts that are subject to wear (gears and bushings) and thus keep these motors alive forever. That is the holy grail

Comment

Working...
            X