Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony TFM-C440W Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony TFM-C440W Help Needed

Hello. I just picked up this clock today and have started tinkering with it. The radio works perfectly, but the clock is not keeping time. Upon taking off the back cover, it appears that the motor is missing (see pics). This being my first clock, I’m honestly guessing, but it seems like something is missing. The circular hole in the brass looking piece next to the brown box becomes magnetized when the power is connected. The second dial should be perpetual but there is nothing to turn the gear. Does anyone have experience with a Sony TFM-C440W? It would be nice to know what pieces I need to source to get the clock working again.

Hi there.
    Yep. You're missing something. Inside that hole there.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=25116.jpg Views:	0 Size:	23.6 KB ID:	25123
    There's supposed to be a sealed motor component. It looks like a metal can with a projection that fills that void and which has a gear at the other end to work the clock.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I’m tracking down a manual to figure out what motor is needed. If you get the correct motor, does it normally come with the correct gearing connection?

Comment

Originally posted by Bdowney1 View Post
        Thanks for the info. I’m tracking down a manual to figure out what motor is needed. If you get the correct motor, does it normally come with the correct gearing connection?
        From my experience, I think most of the motors used this type of radio clocks are almost broken, because of the brittle gears inside the aluminum case.

Comment

Any suggestions on where to source a new motor?

Comment

I have the same clock, and it started to howl some time ago. Your missing piece is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	sony2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	27550 Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	27551
            and the clock info from the chassis is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	sony3.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	463.8 KB
ID:	27549

I believe that the part is a Sankyo, possibly Type S, but I'm not sure. You can read '60' on the outside of the motor, and I'd appreciate any help in sourcing a replacement for mine.

Thanks in advance,
            Bill

Comment

Working...
            X