Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil types and you...what do these motors want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil types and you...what do these motors want?

I thought it appropriate to have a place for different oil types to use in the various motors encountered in these machines we work on.

These motors are low output even though they use torque-amplifying reduction gears. It doesn't take much to stop them from spinning when dirt, debris and such get in between moving parts. Using too-thick of an oil can also cause unnecessary strain as the motor tries to move against the thicker fluid. Many of these oils also contain additives to improve lubricity and suspend dirt/debris. ALL of them are also plastic-safe. Even on Delrin or Nylon.

There are HUNDREDS of oils for sale so it is easy to get lost in the weeds as to which one. And, just like motor oil discussions on the internet, there are always the "Well, I use X product and it is the best because...."

Not here. This is just my experience with a handful of oils being used in many, many clock motors and other things needing lightweight synthetic oils.

Here's a list of oils I use on a daily basis:

Corrosion Technologies "SpeedX" (my current favorite)
    UPDATED: Super Lube 50304 (ISO32 which is equivalent to 10w)
    Mobil 1 - 5w-30 or 0w-20 synthetic motor oil
    BreakFree CLP-4
    Supco Zoom MO-98

Why more than one? I like to experiment and having a choice is great if one or another is not available!

Some notes:

I know Liberty Oil (not to be confused with Liberty Lubricants) is popular, but they will not reveal their formulation makeup so I don't know where they source their base to make their oil. In fact, they seem to sell almost exclusively on Amazon and have no website of their own that I can locate. I have not used their products.

Liquid Bearings is another "oil company" and they do have a website, but even their "Technical Information" section is merely text on a page touting some specs that anyone could have written. Their FAQ page makes dubious claims about oil vs. grease, as well. I have used this product (given to me) a few times and it seems to be decent, however.
    Last edited by ; March 31, 2022, 10:52 AM.

Thanks for this Engineer! Actually I had been wondering where you were on this topic. Going to start at the top of the list today!
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

It's funny...we have all spoken about oils and what types for a long time, but I guess I forgot to try to consolidate anything on the subject. It was about time!

Comment

I use the liberty oils product on my clocks, but I'm always in search of something better!

Comment

Working...
        X