Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal 229 (German version) broken motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal 229 (German version) broken motor

Dear members,

I recently unplugged my beloved Copal 229 to move it to a new place and after plugging it in again the motor did not start up. In the last few months you could hear a quiet train like chugging sound when the room was completely silent but the clock still worked without further problems. I managed to open the casing without destroying anything and gave the motor a little spin and – to my surprise – the motor continued spinnig. However, I can see that it does not spin evenly and the chugging sound is also still there. I think I will have to swap the motor. Can anyone tell me were I could start looking for a replacement?

The type label reads:

Model: 229
    Type: 24 - Hr
    Voltage: 180-260V AC 50 Hz 6W

(Stamped) 76022 SI

[German version with weekday display and alarm]

Best,
    Copal229

You most likely just need to clean and lube the fly wheel shaft of the motor. check out this video...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwY-58UoNR4&t=23s

Comment

• Copal229
      Copal229 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the link. Is there another video for the cleaning part or is the application of fresh oil enough?

I think the synthetic oil has a cleaning agent in it. some use synthetic motor oil for that reason. I have used wd40 followed up with the oil.

Comment

Thank you, I will give that a try.

Comment

Bought some oil for fine mechanics and put some drips with a syringe and a long needle on the first gear while putting the opened clock upright on the left side to allow the oil to work its way down along the shaft. Now everything is back to normal and the clock starts working right after plugging it in. Thanks again for the help! Case closed

Comment

Working...
        X