Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal 802 With Warped Tiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal 802 With Warped Tiles

Here's a Copal 802 I picked up on ebay several months ago for a pretty good price. It was branded stromberg which was a business time device company, time punch clocks, master clocks, that sort of thing. It clearly had a lose tile, so I figured I'd take a chance on it. When I got it though, the tile I thought had broken was just warped. Some sort of focused sunlight had heated the tiles up and had actually warped over a dozen hour and minute flaps to varying degrees...

Click image for larger version  Name:	stromberg802_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	236.3 KB ID:	21863

The screws heads to remove the front face and bezel were fairly corroded. I used some compressed air then a bit of Wd40 to help clear them enough to unscrew. Although I had to be careful how much I used as it liked to drip down into the back of the bezel.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	stromberg802_7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	21869 Click image for larger version  Name:	stromberg802_8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	258.6 KB ID:	21871

Click image for larger version  Name:	stromberg802_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.2 KB ID:	21864 Click image for larger version  Name:	stromberg802_3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.1 KB ID:	21865
    Other than the warped tiles, the clock seems in pretty good shape, some light scratching on the face, but nothing that noticeable. The green neon glows, but isn't super bright.

Click image for larger version  Name:	stromberg802_9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.3 KB ID:	21872

What I've been doing for the tiles is heating them up in a toaster oven, my oven is set to 210ish degrees (99c) On a keep warm mode. At some point I lost the rack, so i used the crumb tray, placing it in the middle. The tiles go on glass sitting on a small metal tray.

My main concern was causing some sort of transfer of the numbering. I had previously tried a dehydrator, at around 140(60) surface temp, but had no luck after 20 minutes (no glass on top) with no change to the tile shape.

Click image for larger version  Name:	stromberg802_5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.7 KB ID:	21866 Click image for larger version  Name:	stromberg802_6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.9 KB ID:	21867
    After preheating the oven, the tile is placed onto a small piece of picture frame glass, another similar piece is placed on top to help guide it flat as it softens.
    From readings on the surface of the tile, (with digital infrared thermometer), at around 175(80c) - 185(85c) the tiles relax and begin to lay flat after 2:30-3:30 minutes.

When that happens I pull the tray it's sitting on and start it cooling off, I have another set of glass I slide them over to, so I can start heating the next one. It seems to help to keep a piece of glass on top during cooling so they aren't temped to bow a bit.

I plan to flatten tiles as time permits, there are too many to do in one sitting and I like just doing a few and placing them back in the clock. I could try doing multiple at one time with a larger piece of glass.

I also was able to pull off the stromberg logo, heat it up and ran a piece plastic in between the glued labels, underneath was the copal label, which I preferred so placed that one back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	stromberg802_4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.6 KB ID:	21868 .

I will share a finished pic when it's all done, hopefully the warped tiles is the main issue...

that is a lovely find! I love the 801 & 802, they are rare! Good job on the tiles, doing it in the oven works best for me, it just takes a bit of tinkering with the temperature and time.

Just take care that the motor in these seems similar to others in Copal alarmclocks, but is not. It is stronger built, meaning that some of the shafts are thicker if memory serves me right. It would make sense for it has to drive a very large clockwork as opposed to a regular alarmclock.

Comment

Very nice and clever fixes. After I don't know HOW many tiles passing across my bench, I have never had warped tiles. Broken? LOTS. Warped? Not one! Time to buy a lottery ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post

Just take care that the motor in these seems similar to others in Copal alarmclocks, but is not. It is stronger built, meaning that some of the shafts are thicker if memory serves me right. It would make sense for it has to drive a very large clockwork as opposed to a regular alarmclock.
        Here's a couple pictures of the motor, the label is M6Z AC 120 60 hz. All the gears are in good shape, so I hope it was just the warped tiles that caused this one to be shelved.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stromberg802_motor1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	21878 Click image for larger version

Name:	stromberg802_motor2.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	21879

Comment

Thanks for the pictures and the description of the label, always good to have that info on the forum. The one I serviced a couple of years ago had a crack in the base of one of the gears, like it was almost torn apart by the force applied to it, this is when I found out the internal guts of the motor are different, it was not so easy to source a replacement gear.

Good to know that yours are in good shape, visually at least.

Comment

I read this with great interest! Always wondered if this was possible. Great stuff.
            ~ Mackey Site Administrator
            If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
            If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

​Just a small follow up, after dozens of flaps being removed and flattened, I finished that part of the project. Happily no flaps broke in the extensive in and out and there was no transfer of the numbering onto the glass.

I did for the most part, keep them on the glass they were heated on, versus trying to move them to a cooling pate. They're very soft out of the oven, if you tried to pick one up at that point, it would droop in your hand quite easily. I kept them sandwiched in the glass used for heating and placed a piece of wood on top, with some random weight to really ensure they stayed flat until cooled.

One thing that came up is static build up pulling debris onto the glass, I had two spots where a piece of dust, (one was a small piece of aluminum speck) got pressed into the soft flap and left a mark. Not much you can do about it, I would suggest cleaning the flaps before heating and having a good light to inspect the glass for unwanted material each time...

Click image for larger version  Name:	stromberg802-flaps.jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.1 KB ID:	22600

Click image for larger version  Name:	stromberg802-flaps-dent.jpg Views:	0 Size:	413.3 KB ID:	22602
              Small dent from grain of dust, maybe tiny metal fleck.​
              Attached Files

Comment

Great work! I have one of these clocks, and I was wondering if anyone has the metal base for the Copal 802 that they'd like to sell, or if they have the ability to replicate it for me. If so, please shoot me a response

Comment

Working...
                X