Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soundesign 3933 Alarm not Functional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soundesign 3933 Alarm not Functional

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm really trying to fix the alarm on my Soundesign 3933. I've been tinkering with it and I see that the lower switch is constantly being held down and when I force it out of position the alarm sounds. After this, the alarm set dial will turn the hour backward into the needle that holds back the flaps. I am able to get the hour flaps back in sync and the clock works as designed in every other way except the alarm. The motor being used is a Copal GG-1283 if that helps with identifying the problem. I have attached a picture of the schematics as well. I am desperate to fix this alarm.
    Attached Files

Hi there,

That schematic is a little blurry. Not very legible. Nevertheless, we know the alarm works via the switch as you had it make sound when you forced the tab holding it down. So, you probably have a mechanical issue and not an electrical problem, especially since you had some other things out of alignment that pushed the flaps backwards.

When you adjust the alarm to a set time do you hear a click or see the alarm mechanism moving when you reach the time on the alarm wheel? Typically, there is a plunger inside of the alarm wheel itself that move inward when the alarm rolls over to the time you have set.

Take a video of the clock mechanism (cover off) as you advance the alarm manually with the dial knobs on the front so we can see if the alarm mechanism is moving when it should.
    Last edited by ; June 11, 2021, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I apologize for the google drive format but this is the only was the only way I could get the video on here. Took a while but here is a video of the alarm malfunctioning. I believe I hear the click that you're talking about but I am unsure if it is the click we are looking for. https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Iq...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Nope, the alarm did not engage. You'll see in the video here of a similar alarm mechanism from a Panasonic RC-6551:

OneDrive photos, enjoy, share & organize your photos

Yours is stuck, for sure. Many times, these need to be "un-stuck" as they tend to get crud (dirt, debris, etc) which prevents that "plunger", we will call it, from moving. There is a small spring that pushes it, but it does not have much force. That plunger rides along the same shaft as the number tiles. It'll need to be lubricated with a light oil after you get it moving a bit. Lubricate near where the spring is located.

Be careful, it is all plastic in there. Just go slow...it WILL come loose, eventually. I have never had one permanently stuck.
        Last edited by ; June 16, 2021, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I have a Sony movement that is really hard to get the alarm to engage. I can only get the plunge to move by removing the omeron switch and spring assembly. Even then the plunger moves slowly. I didn’t know it had a lubrication point to it. I’ll give it a try. it’s the first time I have run into this issue.

thanks for sharing that information

Comment

I believe they add a small dab of grease and as that grease dries out the plunger gets stuck. I think it gets dust and dirt in there, too, which adds to the problem.

So, once you get the plunger disengaged then you can lubricate the shaft area where the spring is.

Lubricate where the red arrows are pointing. The two black plastic guide rods need VERY little lubrication. The shaft where the spring is located will need a little more than that...maybe a good drop of oil. Then work the alarm mechanism a few times and it should move freely.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210617_071441.jpg Views:	0 Size:	368.0 KB ID:	21129
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for all the help my last question is what type of lubricant works best for flip clocks.
              ​​​​​​

Comment

The one I have works great after hitting those areas with oil. I will start oiling these as a preventative in the future.

thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by titanite View Post
                  Thank you for all the help my last question is what type of lubricant works best for flip clocks.
                  ​​​​​​
                  Any light machine oil will do.

Many here use:
                  • 5W-20 or 5W-30 motor oil (synthetic)
                  • Sewing machine oil
                  • Turbine oil (Supco "Zoom" oil)
                  • DeOxit X10S oil

Comment

Well now that I have the oil out are there any more areas I can lubricate to prevent further issues.

Comment

Maybe a very small drop on the end of main shaft that runs all the way through the middle of the mechanism. Service manuals for many of these clocks suggest oiling there. It's the end of the shaft that is visible when the motor is removed. The end of it usually has an "E" clip holding it so it doesn't slide out of the bracket.

Comment

Okay so with a lot of fiddling I have made zero progress and created an oily mess. I will link a video soon of my issue that is persisting. I am at the point that I will go to any length to fix this alarm.

Edit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FOj...ew?usp=sharing
                        Last edited by titanite; June 22, 2021, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Link doesn't work. It says access not granted.

Comment

Comment

Oh my...did you spray some sort of oil in there? When I spoke about lubricating it in post #6, I said it needs very little lubrication. You have A LOT of cleanup ahead of you now. Each tile will probably need to be removed and cleaned individually.

Comment

Working...
                              X