Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kundo gear repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kundo gear repair

An adventurous repair involving a gorilla and a hammer! ;-)

A while ago I bought a Kundo 2000 SLR and an AEG SWG. Both have a similar Kundo mechanism and both had the same issue: the first gear after the motor was broken. As I learned from flip clock_nl this is a very common issue with these clocks. The plastic used in this gear disintegrates over time and becomes brittle and squishy at the same time (sounds odd, but I don’t know how else to describe it). Looking for an original replacement does not make much sense as all gears out there are either broken or about to break. Instead I decided to reconstruct the gear from parts I could find on the internet. Here is what I did:

Step 1: get the gear out

As so many clocks these are not built to be taken apart. The mechanism consists of a clock section on the left and an alarm section on the right. The two sections are connected by:
    • three metal bars,
    • an axis or in case of the Kundo 2000 SLR with the more luxury double wheel alarm mechanism two coaxial axis,
    • the circuit board at the back. Bits of the frame stick through the board and are then twisted. For the double wheel alarm mechanism there are also two soldering joints.
    In between the two sections is the motor/gearbox assembly that is mounted on a subframe. Problem is that you can’t get it out without removing a lot of other bits.

With the Kundo I tried to remove only the alarm section. After this it is still far from easy to remove the motor/gearbox assembly, and it has a major drawback: the alarm gets out of sync. Since this is the complicated double wheel alarm mechanism I spent hours getting that synced up again. So, don’t do this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2260.jpeg
Views:	625
Size:	601.8 KB
ID:	20637

That lesson learned, on the AEG I left the two sections connected and only removed the circuit board by untwisting the metal lips. Then removed one pin holding the motor/gearbox assembly and the assembly can simply be removed. Much easier!

Name:	IMG_2280.jpeg
Views:	579
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	20638

Name:	IMG_2281.jpeg
Views:	574
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	20639

Step 2: get the gear dimensions

Name:	IMG_2163.jpeg
Views:	645
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	20627

From the number of teeth and the outer diameter I calculated the module (a measure for the size of the teeth) using this online tool: https://www.technobotsonline.com/gea...alculator.html
    For both gears the estimated module is 0.3. You need the module for the next step because gears on offer on the internet are usually denoted by the number of teeth and the module.

Step 3: find the gears

Finding an exact match for the double gear would be mission impossible, so I searched for the two individual gears with the plan to construct a double gear from that. After a veeeery looong search on the internet found the gears: one (a model helicopter part) from China, the other (a model train part) from the Czech Republic. Appears that in module 0.5 there is plenty on offer, but in this smaller teeth size (module 0.3) they are really rare, at least in plastic. There is some more choice in brass, but I’m afraid a brass gear will wear out the next plastic gear too quickly and I prefer to work with plastic.I ordered a bunch of both gears and after a few weeks two mules came to my door:

Name:	IMG_2264.jpeg
Views:	556
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	20636

Step 4: adjustments to the large gear

Two things needed to be done to the large gear:
    • Increasing the inner diameter to 2 mm. This is easily done using a drill and file.
    • Filing a bit of the protrusion around the axle on the motor side to make it fit close enough to the motor.

Name:	P1020041.jpeg
Views:	689
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	20628

Step 5: adjustments to the small gear

The small gear also needed a small increase of the inner diameter. The size I found is a 2A (A = tight fit) whereas I needed a 2B (B = loose fit). Again easily corrected using drill and file.
    When I then trial fitted the gear it appeared to be a bit too small. The gears did connect, but only just.

Name:	P1020042.jpeg
Views:	654
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	20629

Since this would probably not work for long I was more or less back at square one. I tried to think up solutions and could not think of any until despair made me try a crazy idea:

hit it with a hammer!

As insane as it may sound there was a theory behind it: if I flatten it, it must get wider. My sane mind though expected the gear would crack or deform too much. But it didn’t, it actually worked!

Name:	P1020043.jpeg
Views:	548
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	20633

Name:	P1020044.jpeg
Views:	657
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	20634 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020045.jpeg
Views:	679
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	20632

Step 6: building the connecting neck

To build the neck I used a wonderful material that I recently discovered: Gorilla Plastic! http://www.gorilla-plastic.de (I believe similar stuff is available from other brands). This is modelling plastic with a low melting point. It becomes mouldable at 65ºC. You heat it up using boiling water, and then depending on the amount have one to several minutes time to mould it. Although still hot you can hold it with your hands since it doesn’t not conduct heat very well. If applied hot enough it will stick to other plastics. When it cools down it becomes hard and strong and you can work it mechanically. Its best property though is that the process is completely reversible! So if you make a mistake you can just heat it up again to correct it. Also leftovers can simply be reused. I see many uses for this stuff: making replacement parts, braces for broken bits, creating a (temporary) mould, etc. I already applied it in two other repairs.

Back to this repair:

It takes some practice to work with this gorilla plastic in the small quantity. Luckily the proces is fully reversible so you can practice as much as you need. This is the approach that in the end worked best for me:
    • I used a nail as a temporary axle for alignment and first fitted the large gear on that.
    • Then I heat up a fair amount of gorilla plastic, much more than needed in the end. I do this because it will only stick well to plastic when dry and hot enough. A small quantity cools down too quickly.
    • After taking it out of the water, kneed it through and when it is dry, stick it on the nail and mould it against the large gear.
    • When it cools down and sticks well to the gear throw the whole assembly back in boiling water. (The gears are made of Polyoxymethylene (POM) which has a melting point of 172ºC, so it is safe to throw it in boiling water.)
    • When hot again, take it out of the water and pull off the excess material. Then fit the small gear and push it in to the right height. You can use the old gear to check the height is correct. Be careful to not get the plastic in the teeth.
    • Repeat the last two steps until you get it right.
    • Let it cool down a bit.
    • When it is firm enough but not fully cooled, remove the nail.
    • After it is fully cooled clean up the hole for the axle using drill and/or file if needed.

Name:	P1020052.jpeg
Views:	645
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	20631

And here is are the results:

Name:	P1020046.jpeg
Views:	654
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	20630 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020053.jpeg
Views:	648
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	20635

Final step: assemble and test

Both gears in action:

The two rescued clocks:

Name:	IMG_2320.jpeg
Views:	601
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	20626

Very nice Johan, also good to have it documented so well! I will at some point in time find the time to work on one of the clocks I have to try this procedure. I might just as well order up the gears already, good to have them!

Comment

Well you know that old saying, if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail
      But in this case that really did work out for you!

The Gorilla Plastic looks similar to a brand I've used called, InstaMorph

Comment

Great write-up with pictures to follow along. Very creative solution. Nice work

Comment

Fantastic work Johan. You have demonstrated what determination and a bit of percussion can do.

Comment

Hi I'm Johnny, I thought your post was very informative, thank you.
            I have a very similar Kundo, do you have or know where there is a wiring diagram or similar information.
            I'm in the U.K.

Kind regards.

Comment

Hi Johnny, welcome to the forum!
              I do not have a wiring diagram. But if you have some electrical or mechanical problem with your clock just describe it and I may be able to help Include some pictures if possible, that is often very helpful.
              Regards, Johan

Comment

Fantastic job, lots of clever ingenuity! Thanks for chronicling how you arrived at a fix, it was a fun read and should serve as a good reference for others. I have a feeling that your fix is better than new in that it will outlast the original!

Greg
                Last edited by gschmidt958; October 11, 2022, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X