Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal Model 227 failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal Model 227 failure

Hi all. I have an old Copal Model 227 clock(red, w/ alarm) that has suffered a failure. The 2nd 10AM hour flap has slipped off the left pivot, and when the clock rolls over to 11AM, the 2nd 10AM flap fails to release itself, jamming the hour side, making timekeeping with that clock unusable. Everything else works. The clock is partially taken apart, and is disconnected from AC mains.

Look at top half of the 10. The left side is loose.

Clock at 11AM. Look at bottom flap. Not jammed yet.

Clock at 1:00PM, advanced manually. Now jammed. Is there any way this can be fixed without specialty tools or almost-impossible disassembly? Please help. ;( Thank you.

NO YOUTUBE VIDEOS PLEASE!

EDIT: Clock jammed at 11AM, adjusted manually.
    Last edited by TechGeek; May 14, 2016, 06:04 PM.
    If a flip clock's motor is it's heart, than it's gearbox must be it's soul.

You just need to bend the tile and put it back in the hole where it belongs. You definitely do not have to disassemble the clock. You kind of bend the tile and it will pop right in. Unless the tab is broken or bent of course.
    I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to see this on YouTube. It's much easier to explain that way.

No need to post a warning about large pics by the way.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Oh. We have a 30GB data cap, The images looked large. And those TINY fasteners(not screws) that are a pain in the rear to install/remove: Can I replace those with hot glue?

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
        Oh. We have a 30GB data cap, The images looked large. And those TINY fasteners(not screws) that are a pain in the rear to install/remove: Can I replace those with hot glue?
        You'll just have to try and then you can tell us! I surely don't know, never tried it. But in my experience, hot glue works good in most of these vintage clocks. It seems to adhere well to the plastics without damaging them.

Comment

Only thing you have to worry about is the temperature, right? And what about on moving components(time set, etc)? Will it work there? Or not?

Comment

Only thing you have to worry about is the temperature, right? And what about on moving components(time set, etc)? Will it work there? Or not?
            I doubt that hot glue would work on metal very well. And I think that it'd be hard to control it in areas that had moving parts.. That's just speculation though

Comment

So, how to proceed here? Most of the little fasteners are somewhere, most likely eaten up by the "floor monster" that gobbles what you need the most LOL. How to proceed, how to proceed?

Comment

So, how to proceed here? Most of the little fasteners are somewhere, most likely eaten up by the "floor monster" that gobbles what you need the most LOL. How to proceed, how to proceed?

It's hard to comprehend exactly what you're talking about. Need pictures.

Comment

Okay.

Comment

Working...
                  X