Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing painted on labels? Painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing painted on labels? Painting

Hello! I recently purchased a TG&Y flip clock on eBay, and while I was cleaning it with a lysol wipe (my normal procedure for everything I buy on eBay) I realized the wipe had removed some of the paint on the "VOLUME" label!

You can see some photos of the damage, and the clock, here: https://imgur.com/a/eoUH2Rx

Is there anyway to replace painted-on labels?

Thanks in advance!

Man, I feel your pain. I can't tell you how many hard knocks I've had. I had one SNAFU that I still can't talk about.
    I don't think you're going to be able to fix that to your satisfaction. I'd let it go. It'll look better the way it was rather than altered. Just my opinion.

My hard knocks:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	plastic.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	13508 Ammonia will erase numbers on the old cyclometers by Seth Thomas.
    Strong alcohol can mess up fake woodgrain and/or kind of create a haze on some Panasonic clock radios.
    Strong, undiluted ammonia can also mess up/remove the chrome stripes on many clocks.
    Superglue: great for fixing internal plastic, but once on the exterior of a clock or clock face ... you screwed up.
    Goo Gone, paint removers, and the like (products with benzene compounds) - these can melt your clear plastic clock faces.

Get this one.
    Brake fluid will completely remove fake woodgrain on Panasonic clocks. Completely. Looks naked. I just did that for fun on an extra case (I have a warped sense of fun ... ). But I have purposefully used brake fluid to remove stripes on clock faces.

Your best tools:
    Soap and water. I like Dawn dishwashing liquid. It cleans very well and rinses clean.
    Ammonia based window cleaner (not strong enough to damage anything. Cleans out black residue inside cases).
    Water ... just distilled water. Great for final rinse. The best thing to clean tiles.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

I agree, fixing could cost you more than the clock and most of these clocks have physical wear like this anyways, so don't sweat it too much.

If I was to attempt something, I'd look at printable decal paper. Dry rub transfer would give you a better look than the water slide kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackey View Post
        Get this one.
        Brake fluid will completely remove fake woodgrain on Panasonic clocks. Completely. Looks naked. I just did that for fun on an extra case (I have a warped sense of fun ... ). But I have purposefully used brake fluid to remove stripes on clock faces.
        Do you remember which type exactly cause it can make a difference (like dot something 2/4/5)? I have a few extra cases here of of a Copal 602 which I want to relieve of their woodgrain for underneath they are black which looks way nicer

Comment

Originally posted by Mackey View Post
          Man, I feel your pain. I can't tell you how many hard knocks I've had. I had one SNAFU that I still can't talk about.
          I don't think you're going to be able to fix that to your satisfaction. I'd let it go. It'll look better the way it was rather than altered. Just my opinion.
          This is great advice and thanks for the tips on the various cleaning products. A tooth brush and soap and water worked wonders on another flip clock by the brand solar I picked up on craigslist.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroFlip View Post
            If I was to attempt something, I'd look at printable decal paper. Dry rub transfer would give you a better look than the water slide kind.
            Ah yes these inkjet printable transfers were what I had in mind but couldn't find the for. But I suppose in this case they would have a clear border that would be highly visible on top of the stainless steel bezel.

Thank you for the tip! I think I will just leave it as is.

Comment

Working...
            X