Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ HELP ] Flip clock makes strange sounds, freezes a minute every day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ HELP ] Flip clock makes strange sounds, freezes a minute every day

Item : Karlsson Flip Clock No Case, Black (KA5601BK)
    Purchased : December 2018 via Online Order (Wayfair)

So around 6 months ago, I'd noticed this clock began lagging by a minute and assumed it was due to indoor temperature fluctuations or strange battery. I didn't care for it much since it would be out-of-sync a minute every week, but as it went on the lag occurred more often. I would have to adjust the clock more often and by last month I would set it five minutes ahead, and by three days it would be the correct time, then three days later it was five minutes behind. I tried changing the battery, but the issue persists.

So far, I had only changed the battery twice. Once in June 2019 (low battery), and once in May 2020 (issue troubleshooting). I've done no other modifications to this device, nor have I dropped or damaged it. It's been hung on a wall for all this time.

Once or twice every day I can hear a strange machine-like grunting sound coming from the clock. It isn't loud, but noticeable compared to the usual, quieter ticking sound. This would last around 5 seconds, and during this period is when the clock seems to freeze a minute. I do not know if it occurs at a specific time.

I tried contacting the manufacturer ("Karlsson" ➔ "Present Time") via both phone and email. Neither of them worked or responded. I'm also assuming the warranty expired, so I've come to this forum for help.

I would appreciate advice on what to do.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with modern flip clocks and therefore could not tell you what could be the issue... It sounds like something mechanical. Are you confident enough to try and open it up to see what might be causing the issue? Perhaps a worn gear?

Comment

It could be poor lubrication, perhaps. It may have had not enough and what little it does have could be failing. Just a guess at this point. The noise you describe sounds like a coil-driven motor struggling to cycle through and push the gears. I have worked on one Karlsson clock awhile back (Forgot the model, but it was mounted in a case) and the problem was poor lubrication.

Comment

I tried opening the clock up but I've hit an obstacle.

Behind the center metal casing is a black, plastic casing in which will simply not open. I removed all possible screws attached to it and I took a strong pull, but the plastic casing simply won't open. When I take a clear look at the separating line in the center, it seems like the right plastic casing secures the left casing by bezzling on top of the left plastic, like ┗┓.

Is there a method to open casings like this without breaking, or do I need a specific machinery or tool to do this? Minus screwdrivers doesn't seem to do much for me.

Comment

Hard to say. It could be some sort of tongue-in-groove sort of setup. They might have even glued it, as well. The Karlsson I worked on was glued together, but the motor casing was different than this one. Honestly, it was difficult to work on and you could tell it was never meant to be serviced...just replaced.

Comment

Shows a montage of these clocks being made, not sure if anything can be gleaned from it as far as opening the case. You could try using one of those non marring nylon pry bars that sell often for opening iphones.

Comment

I have also one of this but pure black. Mine was pretty accurate with 10 seconds faster every week. So after 6 weeks, only 1 minute faster. The battery lasted for 5,5 months (AA to D adapter).
              My issue is after the battery change, the clock won't run or start. No sound. Normally you hear the gears running. Not sure if it got broken?

Comment

fairytypes See if it will start with full size Alkaline D cells, I would think they can supply more current than AA's and may get it going.
                Last edited by davidm; June 13, 2020, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davidm View Post
                  fairytypes See if it will start with full size D cells, I would think they can supply more current than AA's and may get it going.
                  I don't think the current really affects it. I know AA batteries have about 20-25% capacity of a D battery but with same 1,5 V. I tested the new battery on a normal clock and it run without problems. Putting it on my Flip clock, it won't run. It has full juice. It can't be broken just after 5,5 months from brand new?

Comment

Anything can break, at any time, even when relatively new, so I would certainly not rule out that possibility but on the other hand I totally get where David is coming from with the bigger batteries and with the cost of the batteries, I would go ahead and try this but that is just my opinion...

Robert

Comment

fairytypes Another possible reason the clock stopped working after you changed the battery is that although all AA batteries are supposed to be the same size, in practice they can vary in length slightly.

So possibly it's the AA to D adapter plastic that's contacting the holder terminal and not the battery itself.

If you put a new D cell or cells in the clock you will know for sure whether it's the mechanism that's faulty or it was a battery issue.

Please let us know what you find.

Comment

Originally posted by davidm View Post
                        fairytypes Another possible reason the clock stopped working after you changed the battery is that although all AA batteries are supposed to be the same size, in practice they can vary in length slightly.

So possibly it's the AA to D adapter plastic that's contacting the holder terminal and not the battery itself.

If you put a new D cell or cells in the clock you will know for sure whether it's the mechanism that's faulty or it was a battery issue.

Please let us know what you find.
                        I put a D battery now instead but still it's completely dead. No sound or anything is moving. The battery is 1,5 voltage. I checked the voltage of the previous used AA battery and it still has around 1,2 voltage. Did my clock just suddenly broke?

Comment

fairytypes It's hard to say what's really wrong with it from this point. Could be anything from poor lubrication, an intermittent wiring fault...maybe both. It will very likely need to be disassembled and inspected to find the fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Engineer View Post
                            fairytypes It's hard to say what's really wrong with it from this point. Could be anything from poor lubrication, an intermittent wiring fault...maybe both. It will very likely need to be disassembled and inspected to find the fault.
                            I have now already got a new replacement flipclock of exact same model. This time I use a D battery on the new flipclock and it runs good. Noticed that this new one has less sound than the one that got ''broken'' after a 5,5 months run time.

Comment

Working...
                            X