Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orbichron, Novelty Clock from the 1980's Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orbichron, Novelty Clock from the 1980's Future

I've always liked clocks, especially the unusual sort (thus my attraction to flip clocks), though the sheer volume of strange clocks out there is downright staggering. As I suspect many of you like unusual clocks too, here's a weird one I've seen crop up a few times over the last couple years, the Orbichron.

Built strictly as a novelty "futuristic" time piece in the early 1980's, the Orbichron uses LED lights that illuminate in timed sequence around the dial to mimic the "motion" of a traditional analog clock. They're kinda cool! Also, hard to come by and crazy priced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ce239b534c649b574410e5281fb60810.png
Views:	257
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	14621

The manufacturer, Orbichronics is "maybe" still in business. Their website is still up, but hasn't been updated since 2004, so it's hard to say if there will ever be more of these things or not.

I have a pet peeve about not being able to find the voltages for vintage electronics out there, so here's a look at the Orbichronics Orbichron power supply from that eBay listing, which reads out as 6 Volts AC.

Name:	6b92efb97e0a5b596beda8af98cbcd31.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	14623

Comment

As an aside, I looked at the possibility of "building" something like this myself with an arduino to run the lights. It seems like it would be relatively straightforward to build something like this given enough time to program it and to wire all the light circuits together. That's the trick though, I've got too many projects to work on right now as it is.

Were I to build one, I think I'd deviate from the plain circle and use a dodecahedron (12-sided shape, I had to look up what it's called) so that each hour has a defined point with a set number of lights between them. I think this would simplify not only using it at a glance, but also constructing it as building 12 straight segments of wired lights is much easier than building a big circle of them, at least as far as math goes. A simple graphic of the shape to illustrate it's "points" is posted below, in the event someone out there is more ambitious than I am at the moment.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	2b7a6c5fd99851fdb1273214ff5666fd.png Views:	0 Size:	80.8 KB ID:	14625

Comment

Cool, one I have come across for Arduino that sounds similar is:
        Create your own colorful ring of time using a NeoPixel 60 Ring, an Arduino (or compatible) and a Real-Time-Clock module. It'll even keep the time when unplugged!

What is better than smart RGB LEDs? Smart RGB+White LEDs! These NeoPixels now have 4 LEDs in them (red, green, blue and white) for excellent lighting effects. Round and round and round they ...

Name:	led-ring-adafruit.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	14637

So many projects so little time

Attached Files

Comment

That Orbichron is way cool! Out of my budget range though, but indeed, who knows, just keep looking. One more clock to be on the hunt for

Comment

Originally posted by RetroFlip View Post
            Cool, one I have come across for Arduino that sounds similar is:
            Create your own colorful ring of time using a NeoPixel 60 Ring, an Arduino (or compatible) and a Real-Time-Clock module. It'll even keep the time when unplugged!

What is better than smart RGB LEDs? Smart RGB+White LEDs! These NeoPixels now have 4 LEDs in them (red, green, blue and white) for excellent lighting effects. Round and round and round they ...

Name:	led-ring-adafruit.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	14637

So many projects so little time
            Woah, they got something prefabricated? Hmm... that takes a lot of the busywork out of that. Thank you!

Comment

it might the easy way, but where's the fun in that!?

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
                it might the easy way, but where's the fun in that!?
                Programming the arduino to run everything! Especially if it can do funky things with all the lights- we might have something cool here yet! Click image for larger version

Name:	4ee681a4748354fe96d556828d42a523.png
Views:	219
Size:	872 Bytes
ID:	14710

Comment

Fair enough, I had not clicked the link, I had assumed it was already programmed, but you could of course also reprogram it to your own needs/wishes.

Comment

There's actually a website still online/live and it seems that these clocks were still sold well into this millennium. They are not for sale anymore so it seems, too bad (not for my wallet though )

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
                      There's actually a website still online/live and it seems that these clocks were still sold well into this millennium. They are not for sale anymore so it seems, too bad (not for my wallet though )
                      It's strange that a site that old and "abandoned" is still being run by someone- servers are cheap these days, but they're still not free. Weird to think it's still up and running if there's nothing left of the business anymore.

Comment

I suppose I would be doing the world a disservice if I didn't drop in some pictures of the derelict Orbichronics website, complete with waving American flag GIF!

Name:	50ad0aa91d432c58730e74312ba2042e.png
Views:	217
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	14740

Name:	fe5afd9ecac62e3b9e221b0111c5bc4b.png
Views:	218
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	14741

Comment

A late-model Orbichron has cropped up on eBay (HERE) but what was most interesting to me was a seller photo of the instruction manual. Have a look!

Name:	00a1ac8e9e4529335cf83a5dba7f97ca.png
Views:	207
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	18016

Name:	7204d0368c34bf7e6f9f1d892c09c04f.png
Views:	205
Size:	772.9 KB
ID:	18017

Comment

Working...