Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Belgium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Belgium

Hi all,

I stumbled on this site as I was trying to fix an Falster RD 500. I have used it in my bedroom for some years and wanted to put some light in it to move it to my living room.

I knew that some tiles were missing and on opening it up I found two tiles with broken lips on the bottom. So I began surfing, found the superglue/soda trick on youtube which brought me here. The rest is history.

I'm not actually an filp clock collector. I'm an Flemish Belgian vintage audio collector and restorer for years. I don't have a technical background but have lots of experience with vintage speakers, vintage headphones turntables and vintage cd players repair/revision + more and more vintage receivers and amps. In general I like vintage electronics and vintage furniture.

My humble flip clock collection consists off a Falster RD500, a Manta RD500 which I picked up for 9€ only yesterday and allready is revised and got a place in my living room this evening. Furthermore the 2 versions of Telefunken Starclock 101, one of them needs further revision but I repaired the clock allready some years ago.Together with the Manta I got an Tokyo Spider with issues. That clock mechanism will be used for an upcycled flip clock design.

For me flip clocks mechs are fascinating, as fascinating as mechs of vintage full automatic turntables...

Attached pics of the Manta RD500 after I installed it in my living room.Some buttons gave been replaced by an previuos owner but I like it. Looks a bit like an vintage car radio that way lol.
    Attached Files

Welcome Space72! I'm really liking the look of that clock. The whole radio dial looks like a vintage car radio

Click image for larger version

Name:	clock.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	5187Click image for larger version

Name:	car.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	5186
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

I like it too with the altered knobs so I won't be searching hard for the original knobs.

Included some more pics of the Manta RD500. It has an dark woodgrain pattern on the plastic case which I think is very nice. I've cleaned the case and fascia with my Dasty wonder degreasant, got the motor running again by soaking it in alcohol 70/30 and sprayed the pots with Griffon Contact - an local Kontakt 60 alternative but wich is milder, rinced it with alcohol with a siringue afterwards (the way I clean pots for years).
      To get the scratches out of the fascia I treated it with brass/copper polish (trick to clean/restore mildly scratched acrylic because copper polish is mildly abrasive, contains miniscule sanding particles as does tooth paste).
      Neon bulb was still nicely bright.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Space72; February 11, 2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Btw for fellow members with questions, I speak Dutch, French, English & German and read and understand Italian and Spanish.

Comment

I had a similar clock, different brandname and mainly the top 'faux-wood' was in a really bad shape. Since there was not much to loose, I decided to sand it down and voila, it took me some time and some very fine sanding paper, but it now has a nice black shine!

I once saw a Copal clock (model 229) also in 'faux-wood', which was yellow underneath the wood! My hands were itching to get the 'faux-wood' off, but it was a customers' clock which I was working on, so there was nothing I could do about it :-)

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
            I had a similar clock, different brandname and mainly the top 'faux-wood' was in a really bad shape. Since there was not much to loose, I decided to sand it down and voila, it took me some time and some very fine sanding paper, but it now has a nice black shine!

I once saw a Copal clock (model 229) also in 'faux-wood', which was yellow underneath the wood! My hands were itching to get the 'faux-wood' off, but it was a customers' clock which I was working on, so there was nothing I could do about it :-)
            There are a lot of clones of the RD500, I also have an Falster RD500 with a white case. I will try to bleech it with hydrogen peroxide. The Manta 'faux-wood' is scratched but still ok for me. The nicest one of the Manta RD500 is the one with glossy red case.

Comment

Working...
            X