Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello guys, Gothenburg calling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello guys, Gothenburg calling

Hello people, I´m writing from Gothenburg in west Sweden.

I´m happy I found this place! A while ago I got myself a beautiful electromechanical, digital, split-flap time keeping device only to realize it does not work, at least not good enough for regular use. It is a Sony Digimatic 8FC-59WK. I don´t know much about flip clocks or even basic electronics so this will be tough but I also hope a lot of fun to learn.

I got the clock a year or so back at some secondhand shop for 7 bucks or so and took it to work to have at my desk for style, radio in the morning and intended to have the radio alarm set for the time when overtime starts so the late hours start with music, news or whatever the power of radio can achieve. I plugged it in and it seemed ok but after a while it was clear it was a bit broken and I unplugged it. Since then it has sat there on my desk but now I took it home to open it and try my best to find out what is wrong with it so I can determine if it is worth keeping or not. While googling the model and looking up tutorials on youtube I found this forum and got excited with the idea of fixing it as best as I can.
    I managed to open it (and by mistake unscrewing the speaker in the process). The motor runs and the radio works ok but I do not have a antenna to go with it so its not very clear and the minute flaps does not always flip (possibly gear related?) so it cannot hold time longer than 5-15 minutes max. Some of the bulbs work and some don´t and the one on the side where you set the time for alarm is missing.

I´m not sure where I should begin working but I will make a post shortly in the forum and try to document as much as I can with pictures. If someone knows of a good beginners tutorial for this type of work it would be appreciated so I can make sure I have the necessary equipment and don´t get myself electrocuted.

Warm regards from the cold and windy west coast of Sweden,
    //Sebastian
Working...
X