Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Boston!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Boston!

Hello fellow Flip clock fans, I've been obsessed with flip clocks (radios too) since my parents bought me my first Lloyd's FA/AM clock radio unit around 1970/71. Since then I've collected over 40 of these units. Most still work! A few are for parts due to bad cosmetics like cracked and broken cabinets and front lenses. The main areas of problems I've discovered in my collection are the clock motors and the radio dial lights. I fix the motors myself as long as it's only re-lubricating the spinning motor shaft, otherwise I use parts from the donor clocks. I have a good supply of new NEON bulbs too. My big problem is determining the proper voltage and MA rating for the small incandescent radio dial bulb and locating it, any thoughts?

Welcome Greyrock! Your experience sounds like that of more than one of us here.
    While we should start a new thread In the restoration area to talk about this, in my experience, I've just used trial and error. The bulbs with leads and no resistor were typically 6-9 volt bulbs. I've found that for many applications, 12V at 50mA works best. I use 6V at times too. But using the higher rated voltage bulb should make them last longer. And basically, if the lighting level is good, I go for it. I've resisted changing out the bulbs with LEDs. I just like to keep the clocks as original as possible.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Originally posted by Mackey View Post
      Welcome Greyrock! Your experience sounds like that of more than one of us here.
      While we should start a new thread In the restoration area to talk about this, in my experience, I've just used trial and error. The bulbs with leads and no resistor were typically 6-9 volt bulbs. I've found that for many applications, 12V at 50mA works best. I use 6V at times too. But using the higher rated voltage bulb should make them last longer. And basically, if the lighting level is good, I go for it. I've resisted changing out the bulbs with LEDs. I just like to keep the clocks as original as possible.
      Thank you Mackey! Sorry for the late reply! I'll keep the group updated on my progress.

Comment

Working...
      X