Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Complete Listing of flip clocks on TV and in the movies.

Collapse
This has been set as a "sticky" topic and will remain at the top.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Blacklist S5E06, the episode's opening shot is this GE 7-4305. The show takes place in present day but the clock has some relevance to the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by nx_2000 View Post
      The Blacklist S5E06, the episode's opening shot is this GE 7-4305. The show takes place in present day but the clock has some relevance to the plot.
      Good find, bonus points for relevance to the plot. I've been watching through Netflix's Stranger Things that takes place in the 80s but has many 70s set pieces. Unfortunately pretty sparse flip clock wise, best I've done so far is a GE 8142-4 rotary. S2E2. Sits in the cabin by the CB radio.

Click image for larger version

Name:	strangerthingsGE.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	4228

Comment

Newer late night show on HBO called Wyatt Cenacs Problem Areas, the set is very 70s, I could tell there was something flip clock being used as set dressing but was never in focus. Was able to find New York Times article had this still out of focus shot of it.

Name:	problemareaclock.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	6029
        Mr. Cenac, an alumnus of “The Daily Show,” discusses his new late-night series, which has a laid-back energy and a regular focus on police reform.

Reminds me of a ELAC, SABA something more from the european market? Case appears to be red or orange. Any ideas to a model?

Comment

Hi
          There is also an old James Bond: You only live twice - from 1967 - almost at the end of the video you can see a Solari Cifra 5

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Endo312 View Post
            Hi
            There is also an old James Bond: You only live twice - from 1967 - almost at the end of the video you can see a Solari Cifra 5

Michael

Name:	cifra5.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	6035

That's cool. They're using it as a countdown timer.
            ~ Mackey Site Administrator
            If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
            If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Effectively it would be able to countdown 24/25 minutes, but in the space-business that would be enough :-)

Comment

Toyota TV commercial has what looks like a debranded Twemco QT-30T? At very start, a quick cut to the clock and it flips over.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ToyotaFlip.jpg Views:	5 Size:	56.6 KB ID:	9793

Here's the commerical:

Comment

Originally posted by RetroFlip View Post
                  Toyota TV commercial has what looks like a debranded Twemco QT-30T? At very start, a quick cut to the clock and it flips over.
                  Looks like you nailed it. The QT-30T. It's the clock in our first floor "guest" bathroom - but it's actually my bathroom.

Name:	IMG_E6026.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	9802

Comment

Marvels Captain America the First Avenger 2011, 1hr 2min45sec, 1hr3min32sec, 1hr4min56sec.
                    There's a series of panels sporting flipclocks that count down to self destruct the Hydra base.
                    This doesn't seem to fall into a known model but might be a practical effect using parts of an actual mechanism. Font seems copal?

Name:	countdown.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	10451

Name:	countdownclose.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	10452

Name:	flip-up.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	10453
                    It's shown flipping upwards from the bottom, which would make sense if you wanted to create a countdown but using parts that were still geared? The case seems to me to be black laser cut acrylic with the top metal being rowmark brushed aluminum, a engravable signage plastic. Sort of lending itself to not being fully CGI.

Comment

Seems to me that their cheating. They've removed the spring that holds back the hour until after the 00 drops. In addition, they're using gravity to hold the tiles back - they've removed the tines that should be there holding both sets of flip tiles back. The wheels look like those on modern (chinese made) flip clocks sort of like the one pictured below that I saw on Amazon.com.

Name:	modernchinese.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	10455 On amazon.com

Comment

Amazon streaming original show called 'Upload' S1E10, about 1:10 minutes in. Several show up in a display case belonging to a very wealthy person inside a memory flashback of the main character. At quick glance all appear to be newer battery powered ones you'd find for sale on Amazon or ebay.

Name:	upload-clock1.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	11815

Name:	upload-clock2.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	11816

Comment

Most of these are 'Chinese cr*p' indeed. The one in the middle on the bottom shelf peeks my interest, it seems to be a Copal motor and a Copal clockwork, this would be a one-off? Or am I seeing things that are not there

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
                            Most of these are 'Chinese cr*p' indeed. The one in the middle on the bottom shelf peeks my interest, it seems to be a Copal motor and a Copal clockwork, this would be a one-off? Or am I seeing things that are not there
                            I think its one of those Kikkerland Flip Clocks that have rubber stopper feet. It does seem like the better battery powered mechanisms being sold currently, it would be interesting to take a closer look at the motor and gearbox.

Name:	kikkerland.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	11822

Comment

Good Grief! Why couldn't they come here and consult with us. Who would fill up a cabinet with cheapo flip clocks like that?!
                              We could have put some Plato Clocks in there that would have looked grand. Maybe some of the sterling silver British ones too. Could have had the whole collection of brightly colored Cifra 3's, could have been really eye-catching.

Name:	Charlie-Brown-Good-Grief-HEADER_0.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	11826

Comment

Name:	image_3257.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	11828
                                Nice face, shame about the legs

It uses 2 C batteries, most battery Copals were 1.5v I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X