Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SONY Digimatic LOST S5E1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SONY Digimatic LOST S5E1

Back in 2009 the TV series LOST had a more central foreboding flip flap display that ticked down every 108 minutes... although at the very start of season 5 episode 1 there's a more residential clock radio on a night stand.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	LostSonyFace.jpg Views:	2 Size:	129.4 KB ID:	3514

Looking at various models it appears to be a Sony Digimatic TFM-C650W. It's kinda weird looking on closer inspection...several parts seem to have been removed for the close up shot, the red arrow for the alarm and the second indicator on the right. The make and model are also clearly covered with black tape. It seems this clock was also covered in a wood grain vinyl. Looking at the shot with the hand you can see the white case showing on the left edge of the snooze bar, additionally you can see indents for the top vent slats but they're covered and don't appear clearly in the wider shot either. Lastly the alarm "sounds" even though the alarm dial is not aligned with the correct time; maybe it was even hand turned to get the time change shot.

Forum member nx_2000 shared pics of the same model in white a while back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	lostsony2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.4 KB ID:	3515Click image for larger version  Name:	lostsony3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	120.9 KB ID:	3516
    Attached Files

I am very impressed with your analysis of this TV clock! Who would have thought that they would have covered a flip clock in some sort of vinyl covering, but that's exactly what this looks like.
    As you know, I'm partial to TV/Movie flip clocks and really appreciate your contribution!
    So much so that you've been awarded the "Site Contributor" designation based on this and your previous posts!
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Ok this is a super random but I find it cool...
      American Horror Story, S5E1 (25:06). (although it shows up in this hotel room on the night stand in other episodes as well) You can find it on Netflix. This might actually be the same prop clock from the Lost scene, it's a bit worse for wear but man if it doesn't match up in alot of ways. Note the same blacked out branding, the top grill is pressed in more, although the speaker area is still not showing up. Wear on chrome left of clock similar.

Click image for larger version  Name:	horrorsony.jpg Views:	1 Size:	140.2 KB ID:	3599

I will also say there might be more flip clocks in this AHS season, for example someone is stabbed to death (spoiler) next to some GE model but I'll add that in the other thread.

Comment

Appreciate you work in this area. I got a little more detail by capturing an image and manipulating it a little.

Click image for larger version

Name:	from-checkingin.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	3608

Name:	from-checkingin-2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	3609 ​​​​​​​

Comment

looking at the knobs my mind initially tries to make me think that they're brown (from experience) but when I look at the manipulated images they look black (like the TFM-C650W). Do you think that it's possible they used the same prop!? That's crazy. ... Oh crap .. it IS the same one. If you compare the one from Lost and this one, you'll see a scratch just to the right of the blank spot for where the seconds wheel should be.
          I'm loving this.
          I'm going to put together a special video about this prob and this is going to be great additional information.

I did snag the short video clip from the show and tried to upload it to youtube, but it was immediately tagged as copyrighted material so I had to delete it.

However, for a limited time you can right click the following and download to your computer to view the clip we're talking about.
          TFM-C650W.mp4 (6.82 MB)

Comment

I don't think it's wood grain anymore. If you look around the sleep function knob on the top left, it's no longer white. I think the clock has been painted and on the left edges the paint has been wore off (intentionally probably to make it look distressed). The following from about 10:00 in to the episode. you can see reflection in the clock and when it later pans up, the speaker opening is clearly visible.

Click image for larger version  Name:	previous.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.6 KB ID:	3613

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	3614

I really dig this but I'm thinking there's probably 3 people in the world who care about this and two of us are on this forum. The other is my mother because she loves her boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackey View Post
              I don't think it's wood grain anymore. If you look around the sleep function knob on the top left, it's no longer white. I think the clock has been painted and on the left edges the paint has been wore off
              That might help explain the grill being uncovered more and the higher reflection on the body(right side, see lamp on surface). I haven't come across this model in brown or wood grain so I thought what are the chances this model gets used in two shows modified like this...

Comment

Do these shows share common production companies or something? I guess need to google it, and I will, but obviously they're sharing a props store.

Comment

Here's the LOST flip clock video

And here is the Lostpedia - the Lost Encyclopedia entry for this discovery!

Comment

Man you went the extra mile on that one, I like how you dressed it up like the prop.

I narrowed it down to a likely prop house in Los Angeles but wasn't able to confirm for sure as I think this prop was retired. Omega Cinema Props in LA.
                    http://www.omegacinemaprops.com
                    They have multiple flip clocks including other sony digimatics for rental.

Post production of lost season 5 was in LA; being non principal characters I could see this scene being shot in LA.
                    According the following article Omega Cinema Props also worked on some of the set pieces of American Horror Story Hotel; where this prop clock likely shows up again.
                    http://www.latimes.com/home/la-hm-american-horror-story-20151010-story.html

Also of interest they have a Calson 701 (maybe the room 104 prop?) http://www.omegacinemaprops.com/deta...ck&per_page=30

Comment

This is interesting stuff RetroFlip !

Yeah, I put a lot of work into that video. First, getting the clock, then ordering the contact paper (that stuff used to be everywhere ... had to get some from eBay).
                      But the thing that surprised me was how hard it was to put that stuff on the clock! It took a few tries before I figured out how to do it.

Comment

Cool video! The thought process behind 'redressing' the clock is a little mind boggling. There's no shortage of old flip clock models that come with a wood grain finish.

Comment

Working...
                        X