Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shot of a Flip Clock on Upcoming HBO Show Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot of a Flip Clock on Upcoming HBO Show Trailer

Click image for larger version  Name:	tvflip.jpg Views:	1 Size:	60.8 KB ID:	3469

From a teaser trailer of a upcoming HBO show called Room 104. Various stories from different time periods taking place in the same hotel room. At 30 seconds you get a flip clock being sped through minutes, it's on screen less than a second. Looks similar to caslon numbering. Maybe a 701.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73jEMSXAciI

Click image for larger version

Name:	tvflip2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	3472
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHvgGkXHLYA
    Looking closer on the longer trailer, (39 seconds) it's on the night stand, partially hidden . So it does look like it could be a white body 701...
    Attached Files

I think you nailed it. The number style and body shape seem to be the Caslon 701.
    Impressive that you noted this clock and that you made such a good identification!

Click image for larger version  Name:	701-01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	3498
    Click image for larger version  Name:	701-01-detail.jpg Views:	1 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	3499

This is from the first Trailer link provided by RetroFlip at about 15 seconds
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73jEMSXAciI

I did an overlay of the above image with a known image of a Caslon. This is without a doubt the Caslon 701.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Well, thanks are in order for RetroFlip ... However, as I am obsessed with having a complete TV/MOVIE flip clock collection, it means I must buy another flip clock.

Click image for larger version  Name:	701.jpg Views:	1 Size:	148.4 KB ID:	3488 Oh well...

I really think it's interesting that set designers, or directors or whoever continue to place flip clocks in their shows. There's no way in real life that a modern hotel/motel room would have a very early flip clock like the Caslon 701 on a night stand. I think it's a testament to how well these particular clocks were made. The prop probably looked good in on the shelf of some prop store room. And really, since Groundhog Day, is there anything more classic to denote time passing as a flip of a flip clock?!

Comment

Originally posted by Mackey View Post
        I think you nailed it. The number style and body shape seem to be the Caslon 701.
        You found the best still of it I think. They seem to be using it to show time periods of the room, as some scenes have the modern red digital alarm clock in its place.

Comment

Little Video about the "Room 104" Flip Clock

Comment

It looks like you found an excellent specimen. Very cool typeface for those digits.

Comment

Funny, I just found someone on Etsy.com selling a Caslon 701 with a "broken alarm" and had priced it "accordingly." I went ahead and bought it because I though the price was low and the body seems to be in better shape than the one I have. If you've watched my video about the Caslon 701, many people assume the alarm to be broken because it has a wacky feature of sounding for only about 10 seconds then stopping for about 50 seconds then sounding again (see ad below for details). I'm interested to see if this is the situation in this case.

Name:	701-etsy.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	3595
              (image from the Etsy.com sale - click for larger image)

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	3596
              Ad describing the funky alarm.
              from: Arizona Republic, Phoenix, Arizona, 22 Sep 1970, Tue, Second Edition, Page 3

Comment

Funny thing about the advertisement. It's interesting that it states that the clock can be set 24 hours ahead. Prior to this setting for 7 meant the clock would alarm at both am and pm. Also, they say that the "Built-in neon lamp never needs replacing". Never is a long time! I don't think they imagined some 50 years down the road we'd be trying to keep these clocks going.

Comment

Working...
                X