Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap converter on ebay...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap converter on ebay...

Attached a link to a cheap converter on ebay..... Does anyone have any experience with a converter like this? I asked the seller and according to him/her it can be used for clocks.

Yeah sure, it can be used for clocks, but will it be accurate? For the money I would almost just go ahead and try it, I have an unused 110v Copal clock laying around with which I could try it.

Any thoughts? Waste of money?
    220/240V to 110/120V AC Step Down Travel Voltage Transformer Converter 50HZ 200W | Business, Office & Industrial, Electrical & Test Equipment, Electrical Supply Equipment | eBay!

I'm sure you've seen the article on electrical converters here. My feeling is, that if it's 60Hz output the clock should run. If it runs and is fairly accurate, I can't see that a less than pure sine wave could hurt anything or damage anything. The only thing is ... if it is a made in China device (which it likely is) I always have to question the reliability and safety. If you have a clock that you actually want to run, will you feel safe plugging it in and letting it run unattended?

I know the real ones are expensive. But they're safe.

I have the converter from Kens Clock Clinic that takes current the other way (110 to 220 at 50Hz). Expensive compared to the above, but trust worthy.

All that being said ..... If I were you I'd try it. What the heck. It would be very good information for those who live outside of North America.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Will this inverter (or perhaps another device) permit safe use of a European-voltage clock (like a Solari with a European plug) in the U.S.?

Comment

The one mentioned will unfortunately not work for you in the US. I have in the mean time ordered one and that will arrive in hopefully a week or 2. Will keep you posted on the workings of that.

I did try to find a similar converter for use in the US, I frequently have customers from the US who want to buy electric clocks, but cannot use them because of the Hz... I was unable to find a similar converter for a similar price which would work in the US.

Comment

I think the one offered by Ken's CLock CLinic (specifically, this model: http://www.kensclockclinic.com/products/1930-230v/) will successfully permit operation of the 220V/50Hz European clocks on U.S. current. It is expensive, but I don't know of another method that wouldn't cost considerably more.

Comment

What about this one: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/AC-220v-to-11...s/391776261689

Has anyone tried this? It is not very expensive, it looks very interesting and could/might do the trick. Unfortunately for me it would be no good, perhaps if one of my customers would require a 220v/50hz clock to be used in the US, but for me it would have to be the other way round...

Comment

Don't know about that eBay model, but there are options for powering U.S. 110/60 appliances on European current. I purchased the one from Ken's Clock Clinic and I'm awaiting the arrival of a Solari Cifra 6 from Europe, so I'll post here to let everyone know whether it works.

Comment

Edit: should have read Cifra 3.

Comment

Well, my option did not work. It works, but only on 50Hz..... Inspite of what the seller told me (he is currently requesting info from his supplier, but of course this will not help me).

Anyway, I'm not sending it back, it's a useful and sturdy converter. It is currently driving my Japanese Seiko flip clock which has an internal switch for switching from 50 to 60hz and back.

Comment

yes i've been through all this before it's a minefield out there kens clock clinic has been the only one that's worked i've done the homework and (wasted the money) in finding one

Comment

Working...
                    X