Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question regarding COPAL mechanics (model 227 in this case)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question regarding COPAL mechanics (model 227 in this case)

Hello everyone,

I happened to get my hands on a NOS COPAL 227 in bright white, which I plan on using as my main alarm clock.
    The clock makes a noise shortly before flipping the minute tile which I think is unusual, because I do own a few German-made flip clocks
    which do not make this noise; thus I am asking here if this is normal for COPAL mechanics:

About 3 seconds before the tile flips, the clock makes a faint "tock" sound, followed by another one a second later and then finally the "flip".
    The noise isn't loud at all, but I can hear it at night... "tock, tock, flip"

My other clocks, which are not made by COPAL, simply "flip" on the minute without any noise beforehand.

Any insights? Thanks
    Alex

Here's a video so you can actually hear/see what I mean

Last edited by Mackey; June 12, 2017, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I don't think this is normal. But I can't figure it out what's causing that. I've had more than one 227 here and do not remember them being this loud.
      Last edited by Mackey; June 12, 2017, 07:20 PM.
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I took it apart and everything looks to be in order.
        Guess I'll have to live with it

Comment

Cool, a 227 new in box! Have had a lot of Copals new in box, but never a 227... Don't happen to have a photo of the box or was the box missing?

With regard to the sound, I do not know it, but I can image that the 'flaps' might be touching something inside the clock just before they flip. You would be able to see/correct that when you open it up.

Do you know how to open it up or do you need some directions/guidance?

Comment

I opened it already. It took me a minute to figure it out, as I did not see any screws.
            They are actually hidden beneath some plastic covers which you have to break off (they are glued on).
            I was hesistant for a while, but then figured that you could glue them back on - which I did.
            I also took the chance to put some fine oil with PTFE at the motor axle.
            Also just took it apart again to look for the "flaps" touching something, but they don't...

I got another big flip clock today, from SIEMENS. It was used in a public building until a few days ago.
            They wanted to dump it so I had to save it It kinda makes the same noise about 20 seconds before it flips.
            It's quartz driven though, so it's happily ticking away every second

Here's a pic of my new 227 w/ box, my SIEMENS clock and a video of the new noise. You can hear it at the :30 sec mark.
            Turn the volume up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_-8zWy2um8
            Last edited by Dragonheart; June 15, 2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I listened and heard what you were referring to. I just have one question, Dragonheart - when the minute flips, is it loud? It sounded like a hammer dropping! Personally, I wouldn't mind the noise you're talking about, although possibly not normal. But that flipping noise would be unsettling after a while. Did this clock sit outside or where was it placed?

Comment

Working...
              X