Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning RC-6030B Flip Tiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning RC-6030B Flip Tiles

Hello! I have new vintage flip, RC 6030 B (red colour) interesting, I have never saw a 6030 in red. The problem is that it haves dirty numbers on hour and minutes, can you give me a solution for cleaning the leaves of my clock? Thank you in advance. I want to put some pictures, but I can not (to big for upload).

Hey RC6030! First, I'd hope you'd try to learn a method of resizing your pictures so that we can see them. Once you learn it, it's not hard. One free online program to do it is
    http://www.picresize.com/

Anyway, regarding what to use for cleaning the tiles. I've tries several things, water, soap and water, alcohol, windex, straight ammonia. In some cases, alcohol seemed to work best, but in others it started taking some of the white paint of the numbers off.
    I've concluded the best bet is to start with distilled water and a Q-tip. This takes a good amount of time and sometimes you have to go over the tiles more than once. The problem is that at times the tiles will initially stick together. This stops as soon as the water dries.

Hope this helps!
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Thank you for your support! I wiil do it! I will try also to resize the pictures and I will send you some! All the best.

Comment

Here is my beauty! Hope you like it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_726.png
Views:	151
Size:	861.8 KB
ID:	2800Click image for larger version

Name:	image_727.png
Views:	142
Size:	911.2 KB
ID:	2801

Comment

That's very nice. I think I saw one just like that up on eBay! I almost bid on it!
          Thanks for taking the time to post pictures.

Comment

Funny thing- when I researched similar cleaning techniques I came across how restorers clean old oil paintings using their own spit and q-tips. Supposedly the enzymes in human saliva helps break down dirt and residue without being too harsh on the underlying paint.

Comment

Interesting! Thank's for the tip. All the best!

Comment

Originally posted by RetroFlip View Post
                Funny thing- when I researched similar cleaning techniques I came across how restorers clean old oil paintings using their own spit and q-tips. Supposedly the enzymes in human saliva helps break down dirt and residue without being too harsh on the underlying paint.
                I so get this. I've found that sometimes the spit technique works great in many areas. Also, where there's glue or dried paint, the fingernail seems to be one of the best tools at getting it off without ruining plastic.

Comment

Working...
                X