Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pronouncing Solari Udine Cifra 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pronouncing Solari Udine Cifra 3

I'm at the beginning stages of making a proper YouTube video about the famous Solari Unine Cifra 3.
    Part of that involves firmly establishing how to pronounce the name of this clock. The following are two speakers that I hired to do the pronunciation. I challenge you - say the name how you would pronounce it, then check out the two native speakers. The first has English down very well and does many professional speaking gigs. The second ... well ... His Italian is great! But in the end they pronounce it the same way.

How to properly pronounce Solari Undine Cifra 3

How to properly pronounce Solari Undine Cifra 3 - take 2

It's something like: "So-lar-ee Oo-deen-ay Chee-fra Tray" I just can't roll my "Rs" and when I say it I sound like a red-neck Italian.

If you don't see the above players, the direct links follow:
    voice one
    voice two
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Flip Clockus Giganticus (ok I made that up)
    One of the interesting historical facts I uncovered while researching the Cifra 3 regards the city of Pesariis. The town is located in the province of Udine, were the Solari name became established in 1725 as great clockmakers.

Clocks manufactured by the local factory of the Fratelli Solari (Solari Brothers), can be found worldwide in bell towers, town halls and railway stations. Pesariis is well known for it's clocks positioned throughout the town - bell tower clocks, water clocks and striking clocks, sun dials, pendulum clocks, and others. Some tour guides have taken to calling Pesariis, the "Village of the clocks."

The town boasts what can be called an open-air museum or a walking tour of clocks.

Fascinating to me on this tour is the “Orologio a palette giganti”, which translates to "Giant Flip Clock." It's been there for years but this is the first time I've ever heard of it. Awesome.

~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
    X