Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal Model 701

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal Model 701

Hi to Everyone,

i write this post after that i bought this vintage alarm clock at an ebay bid for 32€ (40$) including the shipping of 13€ (16$). This alarm clock is like the Copal Caslon model 701 that @
    Mackey has written in an older post. The only thing that is different is that the clock is entirely branded Copal. It's seems like that this alarm clock was resell by an german brand named Synchron Zeit as it can clearly see in the bottom part of it.

During the restoration i discovered that the motor was stuck. So after some WD-40 it restarted to spin very well.
    Another easy problem was the micro-switch of the buzzy alarm that was stuck. I repaired it with some WD-40 as i did for the motor.

After all this work the alarm clock started to works very well.

i hope you find this post interesting.

Regards

Mattia

This is indeed a bit of an 'odd' one, with the newer style case and the old style numbers. It has a glass plate, which is cool! It is not too hard to remove it, you need some nerves in removeing the 'springs' which keeps the white plate in place which holds the glass in place. Putting them back again after cleaning the glass is a whole different story (not easier :-).

Having some small, pointy tools helps!

Comment

Hi flipoclock,

maybe i'll replace the front glass in the future because it has a little crack in the right corner. It's very hard to see in reality but i don't like it. When i opened it i notice the block mechanism for the glasse made by two little metal strip string. Thank for your advise of how it could be difficult to unmounted!

Comment

When searching for replacement glass, you can ask a 'frame-maker', they have the 2mm glass which is usually present in these clocks and they should be more than willing to cut it for you.

For me it was for free because he liked the job and it was just spare glass he had laying around anyway so it should not cost much. It will probably look a little different because the old glass has a little bit of lead in it which gives it a different glow, but the old glass will be near impossible to find.

Comment

After reading your post bigomat I found a found a Caslon 701 for $35.80 including shipping (the seller accepted my best offer). Had some marks on the case, needed a new bulb and oiling of the motor, but it's in great shape now. I really like these 701s and now have 3 (gray, white and green).

Details of the restoration
          ~ Mackey Site Administrator
          If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
          If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Very cool color Mackey ! It's seems like old bakelite. I really like the design of these flip-clocks

Comment

Working...
            X