Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sears Roebuck and Co "Tradition" Flip Clock Model 7070.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sears Roebuck and Co "Tradition" Flip Clock Model 7070.

Click image for larger versionName:	tradition_02.jpgViews:	1Size:	53.0 KBID:	5080 This clock showed up on on eBay for a reasonable sum and it just had that look ... , so I picked it up this week.

It was dirty, but I like it that way. That way I know most likely no one is been screwing with it.

It appealed to me because of it's cylindrical shape - almost like a cigar (but I don't smoke). But in any event, I liked it.

Additionally, SEARS has been in the news lately due to store closings and a clear decline across the board. It's sad that this once great American Icon is going down the drain. This clock was sold during a high point in the history of SEARS. So it's historical in its own way.

Getting this clock open was really difficult. It seems straight forward, but I assure you, it was made for ease of assembly .... not disassembly.

Once apart I was struck by the fantastic colors of the numbers as well as the whirliegig. Why they hid these fantastic colors under a smokey plastic face is beyond me. It's lit by an orange neon glow bulb, but this does nothing to enhance the orange digits. If I hadn't decided to make this a part of the FlipClockFans Studeos collection, I'd used that mechanism in a upcycled clock in some way. It's awesome.

I replaced the original neon glow bulb with one of my assemblies. Even though the bulb wasn't blackened, it wasn't putting out near the light that the new bulb does. Once cleaned and reassembled, it looks better, but now you and I know there's a treasure still deep inside.

Click image for larger versionName:	tradition_03.jpgViews:	1Size:	73.6 KBID:	5081Click image for larger versionName:	tradition_01.jpgViews:	1Size:	50.2 KBID:	5082Click image for larger versionName:	tradition_04.jpgViews:	1Size:	62.4 KBID:	5083Click image for larger versionName:	tradition_05.jpgViews:	1Size:	66.4 KBID:	5084
    Click image for larger versionName:	tradition_06.jpgViews:	1Size:	68.1 KBID:	5085

Details
    Model: 7070 (70701)
    Type: 12 Hr flip alarm clock
    Power: 115 VAC 60 Hz - 6 WATTS
    Importer
    Sears Roebuck and Co, Chicago Illinois 60684
    Made in Hong Kong

Curiosities:
    The clock mechanism colors are a fantastic bright orange with a yellow whirliegig with black gradient strips. Unfortunately, the designer chose to hide these vibrant colors under a smokey plastic face.
    Other: Made in Hong Kong on the face plate has the letter "N" reversed.

NOTE: If you're interested in how to format pictures like I did in this post - check out this tutorial.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Video of the disassembly

In the video I refer to the face as "glass" - it is not. It's plastic.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170725_184507335 (1).jpg
Views:	161
Size:	686.6 KB
ID:	5095

What an interesting find. The orange hue of the digits reminds me of a Sony blacklighted model I worked on awhile back.

I wonder if these digits on yours Sears clock are reactive to UV blacklight wavelengths, as well? Makes me wonder if they just used these for this model and just didn't feel like spending the time to stuff a blacklight in the case?

Comment

The digits are a similar color but there's a difference. The Sony's seem to be printed better. If you look close on the "Tradition" clock it almost looks like there's yellow around the edges. And they did not show a hint of fluorescence when I checked. For the life of me I can't understand why they went with the orange. But it's still interesting.

Comment

Working...
        X