Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal Model QP-212

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal Model QP-212

just got this clock from e-bay the listing says that the clock will not work. Well I need to buy a D size battery to see what its problem is. Hope what ever its problem is that it can be fixed

With battery powered devices any sign of corrosion in the battery compartment is a bad sign.

Comment

Jeremy's right of course. But hopefully the corrosion did not onto internal components. I have in the past experienced a battery that had leaked, but had only caused the current flow to be blocked. After sanding the corrosion off, the clock worked fine. Good luck!
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Nice! And quite rare too, for that matter!

Comment

Thanks for sharing Dragon. I happen to have a Copal QP-211, also a battery operated one. The 212 looks a bit bigger, can't say I see either model that often.

Click image for larger version

Name:	qp-211-retroflip.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	4712Click image for larger version

Name:	qp-211-2retroflip.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	4714Click image for larger version

Name:	qp-211-3retroflip.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	4716
          Attached Files

Comment

here is an update. I finally got a D battery for it and it came to life. (after I pulled the little chain) anyway I don't know what happed to the clock but the little tab that holds the min numbers was bent up. I bent it back down as much as I could and it seems to work fine that way. The clock keeps good time. But the alarm part of it is broken. Ever time I try to turn on the alarm it sounds. But all in all its a nice clock.

I like your clock RetroFlip. Does yours have a chain to start it also?

Comment

Originally posted by Dancing Dragon View Post
              I like your clock RetroFlip. Does yours have a chain to start it also?
              No it doesn't have any chain to start, interesting to compare the two, yours must be a heavier mechanism.

Comment

I never seen a flip clock with the chain to start it. when I pulled it the first time I thought I would hear a moter running or something lol

Comment

A Copal clock with a chain to start it, has a tuning fork mechanism.... Google it and be glad it still works :-)

I have an older Copal model with this motor and it is giving me headaches :-(

I also currently have a QP211, this appears to be more early 80s than 70s

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
                    A Copal clock with a chain to start it, has a tuning fork mechanism.... Google it and be glad it still works :-)

I have an older Copal model with this motor and it is giving me headaches :-(

I also currently have a QP211, this appears to be more early 80s than 70s
                    That is neat! Thanks for the info.

Comment

just a update my Copal QP-211 has now died. :-( no matter how many times I pull its little chain it will not keep running. (not too sure about this hobby of mine now)

Comment

Originally posted by Dancing Dragon View Post
                        just a update my Copal QP-211 has now died. :-( no matter how many times I pull its little chain it will not keep running. (not too sure about this hobby of mine now)
                        Well, nothing lasts forever. It’s not much fun when this happens. I’ve got many non-functioning clocks that I thought I could fix but could not.
                        You may want to consider just selling it as is or trading it with someone. That’s much better than letting it get you down.

Comment

That is true Mackey. I have the clock on display now. it looks fine even if it don't tell time anymore. I am not going to let it get me down

Comment

I have one of these suckers (different model, same drive) waiting for me to try and repair it, but alas..... dozens of clocks jumped the queue and are to be fixed before this one, so it might take awhile.

Will keep you posted eventually :-)

Comment

This clock!!
                              Well..... the clock featured in this thread is now in my possession.... and working. But man. I’m not sure where to start. First and most disappointing is that the case fractured when I was handling it. I couldn’t believe it! Either I’ve lost my touch or the clock had been dropped and had a hairline fracture. But for sure the plastic is brittle. It’s on the bottom front corner and after gluing you don’t notice really.
                              Problems:
                              1) the alarm was out of adjustment - hard to explain but part of the mechanism shifted. This goes back to the possibility that it had been dropped at some point.
                              2) Two tiles had tabs missing - I used a technique that I “invented” building up a tab with super glue and baking soda then sanding. They work!
                              3) The clock had been .. get this ... running backwards.
                              Running backwards is a possibility with motors that have to be manually started. I’m not sure how to describe a way to prevent it, but for anyone who finds this post and is having an issue - the whirligig (spinning wheel) should spin upwards. This problem would explain why the clock worked at one point, but then on a subsequent trial did not. The mechanism gets jammed up and seizes eventually when running backward (and may have been the cause of the broken tabs).
                              I think the issue is poor design-not the OPs fault. I bet the owners manual has more advice that would have helped.
                              crazy... but at least it’s flipping!

EDIT: 10.29.2019 - but it keeps stopping. This clock is cursed. Guess it's a parts clock now.

Comment

Working...
                              X