Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnavox Flip Clock Radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnavox Flip Clock Radios

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3998 (3).jpg Views:	1 Size:	719.4 KB ID:	4219

My five Magnavox flip clock radios.

Clockwise from left:
    1R1782 - Japan 1972. Uses Copal GC-1246 mechanism. Plastic woodgrain.
    1R1784 - Korea 1972. Uses Copal GC-1670 mechanism. Genuine wood.
    1R1773 - Taiwan. New in box. Plastic woodgrain. Have not opened case to see year of manufacture or mechanism number. This clock with minor differences was sold under many different brand names.
    RE3193 - Taiwan 1973. Uses Copal GC-1239 mechanism. Plastic woodgrain. This clock with minor differences was sold under many different brand names.
    1R1736 - Japan (c)1972. Uses Rhythm mechanism. Glossy plastic.

Jeremy
    Last edited by Jeremy; January 18, 2018, 10:46 PM.

Nice collection and display!
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Great looking collection!!! Amazing how bright the neon lamps are in daylight...did you replace all of them?

Comment

Thanks!

I replaced the neon in all of them except the 1R1773. I used Mackey's replacement neon assemblies, they are the best!
        I also had to replace the tiny incandescent dial lamps in the 1R1732 and 1R1784.

The 1R1736 is my most recent, and favorite. I have been looking for one for a while and it popped up on eBay a couple weeks ago. I really lucked out. The radio pulls in stations really well and sounds great. The clock is by Rhythm, not Copal, and works well.

Jeremy

Comment

Regarding your Copal powered clocks. Is there any difference in the motors? I am far from an expert, but the Copal motors all seem to look very similar. I have flip clock that works, but it loses a lot of time. Once I opened it up...I found out why. So I am wondering if I have to get this exact 76011 or just any Copal?

Comment

Originally posted by Towmater View Post
            So I am wondering if I have to get this exact 76011 or just any Copal?

76011 is the date code, the model in 10-2143-00. Although all the Copals look the same, the difference is the gearbox and where the drive cog meets the clock works. The number "152" on the gearbox itself may also be of significance.

Jeremy

Comment

Hi...I have the same problem with a Sony, Magnavox and some other brands. These are the import kinds from the 1970's with flip-numbers which usually have Copal motors and are not like the older US made ones with conventional clocks using Telechron motors.Two things seem to happen. One, there is a flywheel which spins inside the clock motor and the bearing gets dry. Sometimes you can get some lube into the bearing with a spray nozzle, but usually that gums it up. I had better luck spraying some QD Electro-Clean "leaves no reside" cleaner in there.

Comment

Hi! Could you tell me the exact motor model that mounts the 1r1736? I have a JVC Nivico 9035e which is identical, only the color of the body changes. Unfortunately I bought it without motor ..
                Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy View Post
                  Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3998 (3).jpg Views:	1 Size:	719.4 KB ID:	4219

1R1736 - Japan (c)1972. Uses Rhythm mechanism. Glossy plastic.

Jeremy
                  Hi! Could you tell me the exact motor model that mounts the 1r1736? I have a JVC Nivico 9035e which is identical, only the color of the body changes. Unfortunately I bought it without an engine ..

Comment

I’m only familiar with the 1R1748

Comment

Nice collection! That 1R1736 at the front is really throwing off Atari 2600 vibes for me, which I'm liking. (Bit of a tangent but Magnavoxes have always been a bit of a curiosity for me since I don't think they really took off in Australia compared to Ataris and the like.)

Comment

Working...
                      X