Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sony 6RC-15 - the speedometer flip clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sony 6RC-15 - the speedometer flip clock

Picked up one of the SONY Digimatic 6RC-15 rolling wheel clocks. Here's the video.

~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Hi Mackey, thanks for this helpful video.
    I just bought a 6RC-15 that is in a bad state:
    - case is cracked,
    - base is broken,
    - time setting knob is missing.
    But the clock works and the radio also! (more or less, pot-meters and switches need a clean I think).
    Your video gave me a head start in opening it up, thanks!

Comment

I have a workshop manual for one of these, I must find the time to scan it, together with some more sony ones. It shows how to open it up.

I have one in pristine condition, 'only' the motor is dead

Comment

you can make the light shine through the indicator window. it is tricky but doable.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	speed.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	20724

Comment

Has anybody actually successfully opened up one of these motors to try and get them going? I have not much to loose anyway I guess for mine has seized.

Comment

What a fantastic looking clock radio. I want one! Unfortunately they probably never made it down under.

Comment

I think I'll try to reposition the light as well. It is now completely off-center which does not look right. Need to disassemble quite a bit though to get there.

As far as I could see now the motor is a Telechron/sealed can type motor. I have successfully got some going again by heating them up with a hairdryer while trying to turn the outgoing gear. Also lubricating by repeatedly heating up and then let drag some oil in via the axle might help.

With one that I really could not get going (a Telechron S type motor) I tried everything I could to get it open, just to try out if there is a way. The red hard sealing stuff was difficult to remove. A soldering iron made it soft, so I could scrape it away. But then still I could not open the can, even after heating it in an oven.

Comment

Thanks for that insight Johan. I might try to cut two small lines in the side, right around where the cover sits, to see if I can peel back a small strip as to be able to pry out the cover, but I will try heating it first. First to find some time and make some space

Comment

Awesome clock radio. Have a black one that works great and a white one with a frozen motor. Fixed many clock radios but this one I’ve been slow and patient with. Not made for large hands that’s for sure. Finally got the motor going. I did have to scrape the glue off and open it. Heating wasn’t working. NOT FUN getting that sucker out. Next I’m gonna replace the bulb and pray I get her back together in one piece. Trying to figure out a good placement for the bulb so it lights up more real estate. Now if only I can find a red one..

Comment

• Mackey
                    Mackey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good work!

Hi guys,

just bought one of these todays and it looks like the volume knob is loose because of the missing screw / plate. Does anyone know what sort of screw it takes or where I might find one? Sample image below.

Thank you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-01-22 16_53_15-1971 Very Rare SONY Digimatic Solid State 6RC-15 the speedometer Made in Japan F.png
Views:	119
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	29504

Comment

I checked mine: I think it is M1.6, total length 6 mm (head 1.5 mm + thread 4.5 mm).
                    Where to get? I would first try my local hardware store, and then try online. I had a quick look online and there seems to be plenty choice.

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you Johan that is very helpful! Even the service manual doesn't list the screw type Should anyone need the service manual, I uploaded it here:

Comment

Working...
                      X