Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first vintage clock (cyclometer) - GE 7-4305C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first vintage clock (cyclometer) - GE 7-4305C

I just got a GE 7-4305C cyclometer from eBay in very good shape. All the mechanical parts work great, and the clock keeps time right to the second. The alarm and radio also function perfectly. When I got it the outside needed to be cleaned, and the sliding switches had poor contact. I opened it up and thought the switch contacts were corroded because they were black. Turns out they were just really dirty. A bit of alcohol and contact cleaner made everything shiny again! I also replaced the neon bulb with a new one I got online.

Now everything works great! It's not technically a flip clock, but I like the smooth rolling motion. It's a lot quieter than I thought, but much larger than I was expecting! I was also surprised to discover it has the same buzzing alarm that my old clock radio from the late 80s/early 90s has. I was hanging on to it for all these years because of the loud alarm. I just started using this one as my daily alarm clock. It's very simple to set, and since it's mechanical it can't be reset by brief power outages!

I was born in the 80s so I have never seen a flip clock/cyclometer in person, just in movies. I always thought they were neat and I'm glad I found one!

I was thinking... what type of clock is this actually classified as? It technically has double sided tiles that flip over, but they also rotate around a cylinder at the same time. It looks like a Ferris wheel inside! Were the original cyclometers just a single sided continuous band with numbers that spun around pulleys?

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
      I was thinking... what type of clock is this actually classified as? It technically has double sided tiles that flip over, but they also rotate around a cylinder at the same time. It looks like a Ferris wheel inside! Were the original cyclometers just a single sided continuous band with numbers that spun around pulleys?
      Never owned one of these so I had to check out a video, kinda seems like a hybrid doesn't it? Seems to be a space saver compared to an older version and comes across as a bit quieter than a standard flip. Maybe you get the best of both types...

Comment

Working...
      X