Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Haven Flip Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New Haven Flip Clock

The New Haven Flip Clock
    I'm very happy to announce that FlipClockFans.com has obtained one of the earliest flip clocks, the highly desired New Haven flip clock!

The New Haven Clock Company, of New Haven, Connecticut operated from 1853-1960. The company is well known amoung clock collectors and produced many varieties of table, wall and mantle clocks, including elaborate chime clocks, and later, even pocket watches. The concensus is that the New Haven Flip Clock first appeared in 1937. In 1939 an advertisement still described the clock as "modern masterpiece by New Haven that gives you the time accurately and precisely, just like you would speak it."

After production of the New Haven Flip Clocks, 30 years would pass before the modern flip clock era began. Anyone who appreciates the clean lines and simplicity of the Cifra 3 and the elegant functionality of the early Copals will clearly see the connection to the New Haven Flip Clocks of the late 1930s.

Two Versions of the New Haven Timepiece (Stylis and Perseus)
    There are two distinct versions of the New Haven Flip Clock. The slightly larger and more common style I will call the "Stylis" - from the paper label typically found on the bottom reading "Stylis Timepiece." And the second version which I now own the Perseus (from the label "Perseus Numeral Timepiece."). The Perseus is considerably more rare, and is more like our 60s-70s flip clocks in my opinion, with the unbalanced look due to the motor side of the clock being wider.

Clock Images

See the article The New Haven Time Flip Clock for more history.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Just finished up a little video about this clock.

~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Just adding photos of the Stylis and comparing it to a mystery clock of similar design. Let me know if you want me to upload any specific shots of either clock for future reference. It's funny that I labeled the mystery clock as "mine" since I own both clocks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Streamline-New-Haven.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	748.2 KB
ID:	22419

Comment

Working...
      X