Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese flipclock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese flipclock

Recently, through a Japanese co-flip-clock-fan, I found out that in Japan they use 50 and 60Hz... After some more research it seems that most home-appliances have a switch where you can switch between 50 or 60Hz.

I was able to secure a Japanese Seiko flip clock, firstly just as a kind of test. We have 50Hz in Europe and for the voltage (which is 100/120v in Japan) I hoped to be able to use a simple adapter.

Turns out, I was right! :-) The clock is set to 50Hz and using a basic voltage converter, it is working perfectly! I can only assume that it will run perfectly in the US on 60Hz without any kind of adapter!

After having tested this, I have already secured another flip clock in Japan, more about that when it comes in.

Nice Find. Great info.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Hey Flipclock_nl, I'm in the US and I have several flip clocks from Japan and find I can keep time on the ones that have a switch for 60hz. I use an adapter that steps the power down to 100v out of an abundance of caution (mostly for the clock radios). For example here's a Copal 226, the case states 50hz but the manual shows you there is a switch on the motor for 60hz, as well as a country map showing 50/60hz regions.Click image for larger version

Name:	copal226manual.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	598.5 KB
ID:	3636Click image for larger version

Name:	copal226switch.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	3638
      I get a kick out of the clocks made for the Japanese market as they tend to be more colorful and the flip clock seems to have retained some popularity later in that market than it did in the US.
      Posted couple pics of a Japanese Nation Panasonic RC-707S a while back that might be of interest, happy clock hunting.

Attached Files

Comment

Yes indeed, I find it very fascinating that they have a switch to choose between 50 and 60hz and yes, indeed, in Japan they had much much more colourful and beautifully shaped flip clocks than they had in Europe or in the US! As soon as the next one arrives, I will post a pic :-)

Comment

Working...
        X