Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Coca Cola Flip Clock Sign - Re-purposing an old display piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Coca Cola Flip Clock Sign - Re-purposing an old display piece

The Coca Cola Flip Clock Sign - It's the Real Thing!
    Produced sometime between 1969 and 1973 (our guesstimate), the Coca Cola flip clock sign features an over-sized, white Caslon flip clock set within translucent, cola brown plastic and prominently featuring an iconic red Coca Cola square logo.

The clock was originally an integral part of a larger display. This particular clock was discovered on eBay and had numerous cracks and showed signs of attempts to make the clock more free-standing by sawing off plastic components from the right side of the clock.

Restoration: FlipClockFans.com administrator finished removal of the extra, now unnecessary and somewhat unsightly portions of the display. The semitransparent brown plastic accepted sanding and polishing well, but curiously, any sanding or polishing seemed to create a substantial amount of heat very quickly. Sawing the plastic was tricky as the developing heat caused plastic material to melt away more than being removed by abrasion. With much manual work the clock was eventually taken to a very pleasing shape, resulting in a unique clock that displays very well.

See the Article for more details - including how the manufacture date was determined (guessed).

Restoration Video
    Check out more details about the restoration or perhaps we should say "re-building" or "re-purposing" of this flip clock sign

~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Very nice! Did you find this on ebay? I saw one just like this a while ago, but with shipping and the damage/work it would be too expensive for me...

Comment

Yes, eBay. Actually. If you watch the video, I show screen capture from the actual eBay listing for about the first 25 seconds of the video.
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

So, we might finally know what it looked like originally :-)

It is too expensive for my taste but would still like to have it :-) If it stays for sale for a bit longer still and the price might drop a bit, I will think about it...
        <p dir="ltr">VINTAGE COCA COLA SIGN CLOCK COCA COLA FLIP NUMBER CLOCK . <br> Condition is Used.<br> Nice find <br> Nice decor </p>

Comment

Here is another by btw, from the same seller...
          <p dir="ltr">VINTAGE COCA COLA SIGN CLOCK COCA COLA FLIP NUMBER CLOCK . <br> Condition is Used.<br> Nice find <br> Nice decor </p>

Comment

Working...
          X