Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Caslon 601 - An early calendar flip clock by Copal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Caslon 601 - An early calendar flip clock by Copal

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail - Copy.jpg Views:	2 Size:	135.2 KB ID:	3285
    The third in the Caslon series reviewed by FlipClockFans (Models 201, 701 and now the 601), the more expensive Caslon 601 boasted a flip day and date along with the clock. The clock frankly does not have the beauty of the other models, but seems to be styled in a "Space Age" mission control panel look that went right along with 1970 release of this clock and the moon landing the previous year.

Details: Clock cabinet of solid aluminum, drilled at tapped to accept screw holding in plastic side panels. Real glass front.

Click image for larger version  Name:	caslon601-001.jpg Views:	2 Size:	134.6 KB ID:	3282Click image for larger version  Name:	caslon601-002.jpg Views:	2 Size:	123.4 KB ID:	3278Click image for larger version  Name:	caslon601-003.jpg Views:	2 Size:	125.8 KB ID:	3279Click image for larger version  Name:	caslon601-004.jpg Views:	2 Size:	120.2 KB ID:	3280Click image for larger version  Name:	caslon601-005.jpg Views:	2 Size:	139.5 KB ID:	3281Click image for larger version  Name:	caslon601-006.jpg Views:	2 Size:	128.5 KB ID:	3283

Review and Disassembly Video

Early Advertisement
    Click image for larger version  Name:	caslon701-001.jpg Views:	2 Size:	228.6 KB ID:	3284 Arizona Republic (Phoenix, Arizona) 22 Sep 1970, Tue • [Second Edition] • Page 3

Instructions for operation of the Copal 601
    Click image for larger version  Name:	instructions2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	94.2 KB ID:	3288

Credits
    Click image for larger version  Name:	kesterwood.jpg Views:	1 Size:	104.2 KB ID:	3287
    Thank you to the owner of the Etsy.com shop Kesterwood Workshop for use of the images of the black version here and in the YouTube video.
    Last edited by Mackey; June 17, 2017, 12:41 PM.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Can someone possibly enlighten me with regard to the black version? I have only seen it twice now and first thought that they were painted by a crafty hobby-owner, but it appears that they were supplied this way by Copal.

Was this a special version, was it only available on certain countries? It's not just the casing, it's the sides, it's the flaps as well and the front between the flaps and the glass.

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
      Was this a special version, was it only available on certain countries? It's not just the casing, it's the sides, it's the flaps as well and the front between the flaps and the glass.
      Don't have much details. But it appears to have been advertised in 1971 in the USA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Caslon_601_The_Orlando_Sentinel_Fri__Jan_29__1971_pg_30.jpg
Views:	1398
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	7633
      From: The Orlando Sentinel, 29 Jan 1971, Fri, Other Editions, Page 30

Comment

Well I'll be.
        One just came up on eBay
        Click image for larger version

Name:	caslon601_black.JPG
Views:	1450
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	7635

Comment

Nice!

I think I can confirm that it was sold also in the Netherlands since there is one for sale with the dutch days in it... The issue I have with this one is that everything flaw, no matter how small, you will see it through the black coating. But I have to say, it is nice!

Having said that, I take it that find a sales leaflet with the black version in it will be hard I think :-)

Comment

Hello. I just purchased a copal caslon 601. It's the same version as the one in the video with an aluminum case and black face. The light on the clock works but it seems dim to me. I have nothing to gage it against if that is the way it is. And always was or of the bulb needs to replaced to be brighter. Any thoughts on insight?

Comment

If the bulb appears black when the power is off, it is probably dimmer than the original. Whether you replace it or not is a matter of your personal taste. They were never intended to be bright. They were meant to be pleasantly lit with the amber/orange neon light to make it easy to see the digits at night in a dark room.

Comment

Working...
              X