Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Caslon 201 - Perhaps the first commercially successful flip clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Caslon 201 - Perhaps the first commercially successful flip clock

The Calson 201 by Copal Japan
    My interest in the Caslon Model 201 flip clock began I was researching early appearance of flip clocks in the newpapers. Before there was the internet ... there were newspapers! While advertisements for flip clocks and especially flip clock radios exploded between 1970 and 1975, there were almost none prior to the 70s. None except for this little, simple yet elegant flip clock called the Caslon 201.

While there were other first tries (the Caslon 101) it was the model 201 that seems to have made the first appearance in newspapers as early as 1966! This was the same year that the famous Solari Udine Cifra 3 was released! This surprised me, as I didn't think the Japanese invasion of flip clocks happened until the 1970s.

See Full Article

Video of the Review and Disassembly of the 201

Click image for larger version

Name:	calson-ad.png
Views:	295
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	3628
    Last edited by Mackey; June 4, 2017, 11:52 PM.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

This is a great looking clock. Clean lines and sleek ! I like it indeed!
    Shane

Comment

Its funny that there's no official history of flip clocks. It took me a while to piece together the history of this clock. It even made the pages of the prestigious "Horological Journal" in 1966 (which was probably the last time a flip clock was mentioned in the rest of the Journal's history). It was clearly a big deal in the day.
      It can't be emphasized more how different things were before the internet. Many people who saw this clock never heard of the other earlier flip clocks and this was probably the first "digital clock" they had ever seen.

The clock is very study. But I'm wondering if they're not around because of the glass face. I would imagine that since there would be no replacement glass for these, most were thrown away after the glass was broken. It's all speculation, but it makes sense. If you like you can get a broken faced Caslon 201 now on eBay!

Click image for larger version  Name:	ebay.jpg Views:	1 Size:	8.6 KB ID:	3175
      eBay item

Last edited by Mackey; June 14, 2017, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• Mackey
        Mackey commented
        Editing a comment
        3/22/2020:Note: I previously had been lead to believe that the Copal 201 had been discussed in "The Horological Journal" (the journal of the British Horological Institute) in the April 1966 issue. However, I was fortunate enough to finally obtain a copy of this journal. The article goes into great detail regarding the dimensions and operation of a Caslon Clock. It seems clear to me that this clock must have been a prototype. The basic features more closely match the Copal Caslon 101,  but the overall configuration of the clock motor is clearly different than a standard Copal 101.

Name:	calsonclear.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	3246
      Transparent one on ebay right now, looks like a 201. Haven't seen it in clear before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transparent-Copal/

Comment

Originally posted by RetroFlip View Post

Name:	calsonclear.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	3246
        Transparent one on ebay right now, looks like a 201. Haven't seen it in clear before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transparent-Copal/
        This auction ends early this afternoon. I'm just talking myself out of bidding on it. It's interesting and a curiosity, but I don't think I'm that avid of a Caslon 201 fan. It sure is interesting though.

Comment

Well. ..... I'll be making a video of this clock in the near future. Yes, it's mine now.

Comment

I was bidding together with you ;-) I stopped @ early 60ies $ With the shipping included, it was too much, but this is very cool!

It must have been some kind of sales mens tool, to be able to show how it works, there more of these, also one of the phone called the 'ericofon'...

Comment

Kind of sucks that we were bidding against each other. I just had to see what it was all about. though that I was going to let it pass, but on a whim I bid at the last minute (and I was bidding to win ... I won't tell you my max). Maybe after I get my fill of it I'll resell it.
              I was thinking the same thing, that it was a salesman thing or something of the sort. I've dug around on newspapers.com and can't see that "clear" or "transparent" was an option.
              I'm also wanting to know if the transparency can be restore using the hydrogen peroxide treatment.
              Finally, I'm also wondering if those tiles can be whitened.

Comment

Darn , I bidded on this too! How funny is that !! It's kinda cool that we all wanted that same clock. I stopped at 45 or so. I have Sony I'm working on at the moment and was looking for a little something after that.
                Super cool clock ! Enjoy !!!

Comment

We are knuckle heads.

Comment

haha, oh well, these things happen :-)

The whitening of the tiles would be interesting to know, al though it would be a LOT of work.

The tiles of the 101 and the 201 are made of a special kind of material, different from the later clocks. Unfortunately, at the moment I have no spares-clock of this type or spare flaps of this type, other wise I would have tried. The thought of whitening them has come to mind indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post

The whitening of the tiles would be interesting to know, al though it would be a LOT of work.

The tiles of the 101 and the 201 are made of a special kind of material, different from the later clocks. Unfortunately, at the moment I have no spares-clock of this type or spare flaps of this type, other wise I would have tried. The thought of whitening them has come to mind indeed.
                      I have a seth thomas and a early GE (MODEL 8113) part clocks that have white tiles I would be willing to test on before some of you try on nicer ones. Something you could wipe on/off without removing the tiles would be best, I can only imagine breaking some of the tabs trying to get them in and out. Perhaps the same process used on the cases could work on the tiles.

Comment

Ok ... the tiles of the Caslon 201 do not like to be bent. The tabs break away easily and the tile begins to crack in the middle. I actually have a junk 201 that I'm working on (I bought the cracked one that was on eBay a while back). I'm in the process of trying the Salon Care hydrogen peroxide treatment on one tile. I'll let you know.

Update: The hydrogen peroxide seems to have no effect on reducing the yellowing.
                        Gasoline might work.

Name:	gasoline.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	3332
                        Last edited by Mackey; June 29, 2017, 09:16 AM.

Comment

For some reason I'm not surprised that the hydrogen peroxide does not work..... I'm curious to know whether the gasoline will affect the 'print' on the tile.

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
                            For some reason I'm not surprised that the hydrogen peroxide does not work..... I'm curious to know whether the gasoline will affect the 'print' on the tile.
                            I was actually kidding about the gasoline ... but maybe I will try something petroleum based. What the heck..

Comment

Working...
                            X