Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National Panasonic RC-6235BS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Panasonic RC-6235BS

Picked up this cheap, badly sunburned, European market clock radio with the intent of doing a Salon Care treatment.

It is similar to the common US market RC-6236, but without the weather radio and without the hideous fake woodgrain.

There are two switches on the bottom, one to change the voltage between 110-125 and 224-240, and one to change the cycles between 50 and 60. It has a standard NEMA electrical plug, but it looks like it may have been replaced a some point.

There are two special plugs on the back, one for AM and one for FM antennas.

Being European, it is a 24 hour clock.

There are three certification marks on the label, one is for Switzerland, one is for Sweden, and I can't identify the third.

Last edited by Jeremy; May 10, 2017, 10:58 PM.

This is a nice find. I've wanted to get my hands one of these clocks with the lever for the change of 50/60 Hz. That switch has to be a gear change. I'd really like a picture of what you can see when your take this clock down and move that lever.

~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

I will post a picture when I tear it down.

Comment

Here is the gear box, with its lever to change the cycles.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3693.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	3440

Comment

Before and after Salon Care

Name:	IMG_3657.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	3442

Name:	IMG_3692.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	3443

Comment

That's about the yellowest clock I've ever seen. Thanks for the pictures.
            ~ Mackey Site Administrator
            If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
            If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

All back together. Only cosmetic issue is the aluminum metal trim on top has some discoloration.
              Pretty unique clock radio all around. It is was made in 1976 but is branded National Panasonic, I thought they dropped "National" in the early 1970s. The built in voltage converter and cycle selector suggest it was designed to be a world traveler. Perhaps it was a military special with its 24-hour clock and ability to go continent hopping.
              I am now up to 11 flip clock radios so I think this will be the first one I sell. This clock really belongs overseas where someone can appreciate the voltage and 24-hour clock.

Name:	IMG_3708.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	3452Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3710.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	3453Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3712.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	3454

Jeremy

Comment

Going piggy back on Jeremys post. This is the only model I've come across that has a voltage selector in addition to a 50/60 hz selector. Anyone know if this something more common in European clock radios? I thought this model might have been targeted to US military base personnel as they seem like someone likely to be moved around to different voltages. My cord also seems to be not original, although that makes sense if it was wired for Europe to start with.

Edit: Man I suppose this might actually be the same clock, I did buy this one a few years ago and geez if they don't look really close, the front bezel has some touch up paint... what are the odds?

Click image for larger version  Name:	RC-6235BS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.9 KB ID:	12279
                Attached Files

Comment

RetroFlip What's the serial number under your clock?

I've enlarged the serial number sticker under the clock Jeremy had pics of in the first few posts...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jeremys ser number.png Views:	0 Size:	306.6 KB ID:	12283 Click image for larger version  Name:	jeremys rotated enlarged.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	12284

Comment

Originally posted by davidm View Post
                    RetroFlip What's the serial number under your clock?
                    This is like a CSI episode. Enhance. Well they do match... so this was swept up in RetroFlips great clock buying spree of 2017! I haven't had much luck finding other examples of this model and of course the model # brought me back here. I'll share if I get more info on it.

Comment

That's amazing, what are the chances?

The value of that flip clock just went up, it has documented provenance now!

I bought a non-working RC-6005B a while ago because it was the first flip clock I'd found that was both dual voltage and dual frequency.

It was and still is a tad dusty, I haven't got around to fixing it because I'm not a fan of the design, but I wanted to see how the dual volts/Hz was done.

As I now know, frequency is just a lever for a gear change, and voltage is rotate a xformer tappings switch.

Name:	rc 6005b front.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	475.9 KB
ID:	12321 Click image for larger version

Name:	rc 6005b rear .JPG
Views:	370
Size:	501.7 KB
ID:	12322
                      Last edited by davidm; June 11, 2020, 09:12 PM. Reason: another dual Volts/Hz flipper

Comment

Working...
                      X