Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading a vintage Coke Flip Clock Sign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading a vintage Coke Flip Clock Sign

This is a sign that I got sometime back and did a "re-purposing" or restoration (see video or see article).

The sign did not originally come with lighting. At first I put a neon glow bulb in there, but it wasn't so great. But now it's looking good (I think) with an LED upgrade.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1999.JPG Views:	1 Size:	64.0 KB ID:	4647Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1998.JPG Views:	1 Size:	65.7 KB ID:	4648

Parts List
    1. LD-CU3512-01: 350mA Constant Current LED Driver - 1Watt LED Driver $5.95
    2. RLBN-NW30SMD: Narrow Rigid LED Light Bar w/ High Power 1-Chip SMD LEDs - 255 Lumens: RLBN series - Natural White $7.95

I only had to use a block of 3 of the light bar (this rigid bar can be cut every 3 LEDs) leaving me 27 more (9 units) of the bulbs.

The little drive works perfect for this application and is the same model I used for the black light conversion.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

I like it. Probably can see it a lot better in a dark room now also.

Comment

Originally posted by Dancing Dragon View Post
      I like it. Probably can see it a lot better in a dark room now also.
      Very much so.
      It was hard to get a good picture of it. I had to screw with the settings to even get a picture close to what it actually looks like (looks better in person). It's not a harsh light like it may look like in the picture. But for some reason, on an iphone camera, it just blurs out the numbers and all you see is white!
      I wouldn't put those lights in a vintage flip clock. This is called "natural white." I'm going to try "warm glow" to see if it would work in older clocks. But... bottom line is I don't like LED upgraded clocks if the original bulbs are available.
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Originally posted by Mackey View Post

Very much so.
        It was hard to get a good picture of it. I had to screw with the settings to even get a picture close to what it actually looks like (looks better in person). It's not a harsh light like it may look like in the picture. But for some reason, on an iphone camera, it just blurs out the numbers and all you see is white!
        I wouldn't put those lights in a vintage flip clock. This is called "natural white." I'm going to try "warm glow" to see if it would work in older clocks. But... bottom line is I don't like LED upgraded clocks if the original bulbs are available.
        You are so right. since I been on this forum I have been looking at ebay a lot for used flip clocks. and there is a lot of flip clocks on there were you know the light has been replaced by a LED that is WAY WAY WAY to bright

Comment

Working...
        X