Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sankyo Digital 401

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sankyo Digital 401

Hello everybody, here is a video I shot recently of one of my toys - my other Sankyo cyclometer clock. It is a bit dark, I tried to use the natural light coming from the outside, but I will know to use extra light and manual camera settings next time. I'm thinking of getting rid of my Sankyos, because they're quite noisy. I'd like to have one on my nightstand, but it is loud, particularly when changing the minute. I cleaned and oiled their mechanisms, but they're still noisy. Recently, I thought about adding vaseline instead of oil - because I have a tape recorder and the motor is noisy when it has no belt on it (the main shaft is a bit worn and loose) but as soon as the belt is on, it's quiet and runs smoothly. Any experience, thoughts on this?
    SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Thanks for this look at a Sankyo. Never had one cross my path (yet).
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Here are the pictures.
      SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

Here is the scanned box and in case you would like to turn this into a cool t-shirt design, the full scans are located on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132762...57661368789046
          SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

Very cool looking unit 😃

Ever considered trying that sunbathing trick to get the housing back to its original coulor....?
            What I've seen on some computer forum's were they did this method on computer housings, it really turned out great!

Comment

I thought about that, but in the end I decided to leave it as it is. It looks interesting this way
              SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

I found one of these at a garage sale today. Do you know if it's supposed to be backlit? I haven't taken it apart yet so I'm not sure if there is a light to replace.

Comment

The 401 is not backlit, the drums are made of black plastic.
                  SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by batboy View Post
                    I found one of these at a garage sale today. Do you know if it's supposed to be backlit? I haven't taken it apart yet so I'm not sure if there is a light to replace.
                    Yes they are back lit. I have one of these. It uses an Amber neon bulb. They typically get black and very dim with age. Can purchase these at bulbtown.com. A1A is the style. Make sure to leave series resistor in place when changing.

Comment

I have never had a backlit one.... I have tried to built in a light, but it just would not work. You would have to be able to put the bulb inside the black drums.

I would be very much interested to see a backlit model 401 from the inside to see how the bulb is mounted.

Comment

Just some extra details about the Sankyo Digital 401 Electric Alarm Clock
                        Available colors were decribed as White, Hunter Ivory, Harvest , Indian Gold, Hothouse Tangerine, Poppy and Black.
                        I'm guessing White and Hunter Ivory were the same colors as were Harvest and Indian Gold.
                        The clock appeared in advertising from 1970 to 1975 then disappeared.

Click image for larger version  Name:	sankyo401_001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	70.8 KB ID:	3000
                        Newspaper: The Montgomery Advertiser
                        Montgomery, Alabama
                        Wed, Dec 16, 1970 – 6

Click image for larger version  Name:	sankyo401_002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	96.4 KB ID:	3001
                        Newspaper: Evening Herald
                        Shenandoah, Pennsylvania
                        Mon, Dec 8, 1975 – Page 12
                        ~ Mackey Site Administrator
                        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
                        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Cool period materials, Mackey, thanks for those.
                          SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

I have a Sankyo 401...ran fin until recently. The alarm works OK, but the clock stopped running. I suspect that its the "S" type rotor mechanism. I see replacements that run at 3.6rpm but I blieve this clocks motor runs much faster than that. Has anyone counted the rpm of this particular motor? Does the 60 on the back have any significance to rpm or hz?

Anyone?

Comment

The 60 means your motor needs 60 Hz from the mains network. I believe it rotates at more than 60 rpm, that would be too slow. Unfortunately I don't have the clock anymore, so I'm afraid I can't help you.
                              SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

Working...
                              X