Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barr Cyclometer Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barr Cyclometer Clock

My first post here about a clock. I picked up a little Barr Cyclometer last Sunday, and have a question. When I first opened it up and plugged it in, I noticed that the tens digit (middle roller) didn’t turn when the right roller changed from 9 over to 0. So I figured out how to fix that. Then after re-assembling it, I found that it would increment the middle roller when the right one changed from 4 to 5 (or 5 to 6, can’t remember) instead of 9 to 0. So I figured that one out too, I put my shaft back in 180 degrees out.
    So now everything seems to be working ok mechanically, but the problem I have is that the hour and tens digits are about half a number higher than the right one. It makes them hard to read from the viewing window when re-assembled. Not sure how to adjust them to get them more centered. Also, at times the drums don't seem to line up horizontally real well, not sure if the drums have too much play in them or what.
    Thanks for any help or advice you can give.
    Travis

Well, I'm thinking that you're going to end up being the cyclometer expert around here. But here's what I know.
    On some of the clocks you'll notice that there are ... Divits, or indentions?? Anyway, there may be a piece of metal, under tension touching those divits. When the wheel get close to alignment, the divit falls under that spring, making it line up. I think they had a little grease on the divits that helps the spring fall into place. So, if I'm on the right track, you either need to clean and grease, or your spring is missing. I'm saying "spring", but it's just a metal piece under pressure.
    One more thing. Keep ammonia away from those numbers! It can take the paint off! I'd even stay from alcohol and use light soap and water to clean.
    Let us know how it ends up!
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll open it up again and take a look at the drums. Maybe there is a way to snug them up a bit that I overlooked.

I used plain Gojo and a Q-tip to clean the bakelite drums and numbers. It works wonders on finished wood, and bakelite. Good for getting decades of nicotine off, and gentle on painted surfaces.

Travis

Comment

Slowly making a little progress. Worked on it a few minutes last night and now it is mainly the middle roller that is up higher, but not as bad as before. Guess it will just take some experimenting to get it right.
        Travis

Comment

Got any pictures?

Comment

Here is what I have. The case is in great shape, and it seems to work well. Just a little bit better alignment and I will be happy. It's kind of fun to play with, and neat to watch it work when the case is off!
            ​Travis

Comment

Another shot of my clock.

Comment

Well, I think I got it how I want it. Had some time to play with the alignment of the gears between the drums. I found that by loosening the setscrew on the gear between the middle and right most drum and experimenting with the gear's position I was able to align the center drum. It was definitely trial and error, but eventually things worked out. The hours drum wasn't quite so bad. I found when I set the minutes to "00" I could put the hour number's teeth right in the position it should be in. Maybe that sounds simple now, but I was just learning on my own.

I had fun playing with this the last couple of weeks. If I ever find another it should go easier. I attached a couple of photos of the clock, and one with it sitting on my 1940 Zenith console radio. They came out about the same time.

Thanks, and I will check in every once in a while.

Travis

Comment

Thanks for the update. Really nice looking pieces! Congrats, you're officially the resident expert on this clock!

Comment

Working...
                  X