Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New in Box Nyquil Branded Copal 222 - Unbranded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New in Box Nyquil Branded Copal 222 - Unbranded

Click image for larger version  Name:	copal222_04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	51.7 KB ID:	5245 You may have seen the listing on eBay for a Nyquil Branded New In Box Copal 222 fairly recently. It was a buy it now with "Make an offer." The seller had two and he let one go to me for a reasonable price. Well, I do like the little Copals and for some reason, in the last year I'm liking little clocks that aren't radios (or even alarms). I already had a Copal 222 but I really wanted a Mint one. But I couldn't deal with the Nyquil Branding. No offense intended to the " – the nighttime, sniffling, sneezing, aching, coughing, stuffy-head, fever, so you can rest medicine.”. Although, back in 1973 (when this clock was branded) the slogan was "Nyquil Nighttime Colds Medicine." Thank goodness, but cause the other would have been much harder to remove.

But anyway, the paint came off relatively easy with brake fluid, but the technique they used to brand the clock made an impression into the plastic. I'm guessing that there was either significant pressure involved or more likely heat. By the time I was done with paint removal, I need to get the ghost of the Slogan off the clock. I used my personal favorite,Meguiars PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish. I needed to hit it with polish anyway because the removal of the paint caused some slight hazing of the clear plastic lens.

Click image for larger version  Name:	copal222_01.JPG Views:	1 Size:	53.2 KB ID:	5244Click image for larger version  Name:	copal222_02.JPG Views:	1 Size:	44.7 KB ID:	5246Click image for larger version  Name:	copal222_03.JPG Views:	1 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	5247 Click image for larger version

Name:	copal222_06.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	5249
    Click image for larger version  Name:	copal222_05.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.6 KB ID:	5248

Well, it all came out just fine, so now I have a mint Copal 222 in white.

The video below may or may not be of interest, It probably doesn't add much to what I've posted above. Although it does do the unboxing and reviews inserts - for those interested in such things.

~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Good to know that this works! A lot of these '222's appear to have been gifts for various companies in the 70s.

I have a 201 which has some actual engraving on it, this is impossible to remove, it goes almost a millimeter deep in the casing.

Comment

Working...
    X