Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggested models for restoration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggested models for restoration?

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I wondered if I could have your opinions on which model to get to repair...

I'm looking for one which is relatively easier to repair, commonly available so I can find parts, with a large cabinet and easily isolated alarm signal wire.

I'm considering a project to play custom music using arduino/raspberry pi, similar to the instructable in the other forum.

So far, I'm thinking of ge, Panasonic, and Sony.

The Panasonics have lots of room inside for components. I think a great place to start would be the RC-6030. But I'm not so sure about an isolated alarm signal wire. It's typically not that straight forward. I did something like that with the sister of the RC-6030, the groundhog day clock (see video). I was actually doing this modification way before that instructable came out, but my video exposing my "secrets" (see above) came out later. Also my way is non-destructive and easily reversible. No sour grapes ... just saying.

But you know what .... I think I know just what you may be looking for .... The following is a video I just shot .. just for your purposes:

While the Panasonic RC-1103 is an AM only flip clock I personally believe it's under-rated. Which is good - you should be able to find one for not too many bills. I like it because of it's compact style, but it's also a clock that's appeared on TV. The following are the videos I have done on this model.

Criminal Minds Flip Clock - Panasonic 1103

Restoration of the RC-1103

Panasonic RC-1103 face plate restoration
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

This is incredible. Thank you very much for the information.

So in this instance, you isolate the Omron switch by disconnecting the wires to it and feed my own signal wire which is only connected when the alarm goes off?

How long did the radios go off back in those days? For a full minute before shutting off on their own?

Comment

Originally posted by mcollard View Post
        So in this instance, you isolate the Omron switch by disconnecting the wires to it and feed my own signal wire which is only connected when the alarm goes off?
        In this case, all the switch does is connect the two wires together. You can disconnect both wires and use it as a switch. In this case connecting two of your wires together to complete a circuit (to act either as an on/off switching mechanism to to connect power to a device).

How long did the radios go off back in those days? For a full minute before shutting off on their own?
        There was no one way. One I have goes off for 10 seconds, then stops for about 50 seconds then back on for 10 seconds. Others activate and stay on for many minutes and maybe an hour or more. In doing a rough test of the RC-1103 it seemed to stay on about an hour. These alarms are truly "Electromechanical." They depend upon mechanical levers or switches and springs, sometimes tabs falling into slots tripping a lever that triggers the alarm usually by pressing or unpressing a button. As the clock mechanism turns the lever is reset mechanically (whether you turn the alarm off or not, it has to do this).

The thing to remember, there was no way to set off an alarm at an exact time. You may set it for 5am and it would alarm "around" 5 (somewhere between say, 4:55 and 5:05- that's not exact).

The thing is, you can do this project, but ultimately it will likely have little practical application (beyond being a cool project!).

I converted more than one Panasonic RC-6025 to play the Sonny and Cher tune, "I got You Babe." But after that, the magic was gone. After you've seen the glazed look of your family and friends, you realize, no one (except flip clock fans) really cares that much. Additionally, many collectors just want a flip clock in vintage condition, not one that's been altered.

I'm not trying to discourage you ... I've messed with it and I've heard of people putting Bluetooth devices in flip clocks. It's whatever "Trips your Trigger" (pun intended).

Comment

Yeah. The application is just for my nightstand. I realize there's no resale value.

with what I have in mind, I can upload new songs from my phone, or use Pandora based on the position of the am/FM switch. So it can wake to say a movie song (back in time, I got you, etc at random) or Pandora internet radio.

I picked up a ge 7-4305 to play with. In testing the alarm mechanism, it seemed to go off for an hour or so. Luckily I can kill the music routine on the clock computer (Linux using raspberry pi with a adc) after a set time, and or watch for the alarm signal wire to be disrupted via setting the alarm switch to off.

I even considered recording my own radio bumpers, short audio of my voice to include with the alarm. ("YourE listening to flip clock radio, k-o-l-d.") And, I can pull current weather and announce it with either a computer generated voice, or my own, if I'm willing to record words for it. ("Sunny. Snow. Sleet. 1,2,3,4.. Etc.")

Do we have a preferred (inexpensive, good work) to do replacement plastic or metal gears? The radio has a shredded first gear where the metal gear meets the plastic gear.

Comment

The clock gearing mechanism appeared to have standard screws holding it together. I'm waiting on a 5.5mm socket to tear it down. The damage is limited to one spot of just a few teeth. If I can get it out and mail it to you would you be willing to attempt to create a replacement gear? If so, what is the service cost/worth?

Comment

Additionally, to source replacement flip mechanisms, should I check with you guys first, or is there a place you know to get them inexpensive used or new?

Comment

The sockets I ordered are too big to get into the case hole. Can you suggest a socket set which can reach (what looks like a 5.5mm? hex? screw)?

Comment

From the inside it's a machine screw, wider by the head and narrow at the point. I can hammer it out and glue it back, but I prefer not to do so.

Comment

Mackey you took apart two of these, do you happen to know the size of the screw that holds in the clock mechanism?

Comment

Mackey you took apart two of these, do you happen to know the size of the screw that holds in the clock mechanism?
                      Now, what clock are we talking about exactly. I've read through but I'm still not sure what model we're talking about now.
                      But the short answer is "no." I'm not going to know that.
                      But if I still have the model we're talking about I can pull it out.

Comment

7-4305A,B,C the roller ge clock. There's two machine screws on the underside for the clock mechanism. I need to order a small shaft nut driver for it.

Comment

I'm going to dig around for the clocks (they're most likely in storage) but I don't remember a nut on the underside of the clock. I'll look and get back to you.

Comment

mcollard Check out the video for the details. You need a 3/16 nut driver bit.

Last edited by Mackey; February 15, 2018, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Excellent! Thank you for the video and advice .picked up the new nut driver on the internet.

Project is shaping up well, I ordered a mcp3008 10 bit adc to manage the inputs from the clock switches.

I tried to measure the resistance through the volume potentiometer, but I got a solid open circuit on all three contacts. So I'm thinking either the pot is bad/dirty or the surrounding circuits are sinking the test current.

My raspberry pi 1 b board is bad so I'm ordering a new one.

More to follow.

Comment

Working...
                              X