Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony TFM-C480W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony TFM-C480W

For a relatively brief time, I had one of these sitting in my bedroom, a hand-me-down from my mother. Unfortunately, I wasn't much a fan of it then - the motor hum bothered me while I was trying to sleep and I complained to my parents. They swapped it out for one of these: https://marketplace.apartmenttherapy...adio-7-4606wha (This listing says it was from 1988?! I'm pretty sure I got one new the better part of a decade later...)

As my interest in clocks began to grow later in life, I wanted that old flip clock... but unfortunately for me, my parents must have trashed it or sold it at a garage sale, as they don't have it anymore. Within the past few years, I started poking about online, trying to identify the model. I figured it out, but at the same time discovered that it was the "Ghostbusters clock," which drove the price up a bit.

After discovering this site, my original plan was to pick one of these up for nostalgia purposes, and pick up some other more easily-obtainable model to tinker with as a project clock. Unfortunately, this one is not in the greatest of shapes! It was packed with only a single puppy training pad, and I'm sure it got bumped around a lot during shipping. It's no longer in working condition. As a result, it well may become the project clock.

The Good:
    -Both bulbs work!
    -Radio works (I'm listening to oldies while typing this up)

The Bad:
    -The time set knob is missing. I don't know how hard this is going to be to find a replacement for...
    -The snooze pull tab has broken free. I don't know how it's supposed to reattach.
    -The whirlygig does not whirl, and consequently, it doesn't tell time. The seller claimed it was working in the auction, but it sure isn't now.
    -Some scratches.
    -The hour flaps seem to stick somewhat. I think they've loosened a bit as I've rotated the time set arm.

Disassembly:
    It looks like this clock has been opened before - It looks like there was a washer on the bottom for each screw that held the clock portion in place, but there are stains there now where the washers used to be. There is also a bit of missing plastic by one of those front screws. Before starting disassembly (but after the exterior photos) I wiped off a bit of the grime with paper towels an isopropyl alcohol, which helped the appearance a good bit.

Getting it apart was pretty easy. I used a table knife covered in a paper towel to wriggle the knobs free (but I probably didn't need to bother - they weren't terribly difficult to remove). I also had to pull the buttons off, then push all the buttons back down. Since the sleep tab was already broken free, I didn't have to do anything to remove that. Not sure how I'd have done it otherwise. There were three screws on the back and two on the bottom near the face that needed to be removed. The two washered screws didn't need to be removed.

I'll be the first to admit: I may have bitten off more than I can chew, here. I'm not sure where to start. But, if I can, I'd like to restore this clock.

So, it's been just under a year! I decided I didn't have what it took to do it myself, so I just got my clock back from having it refurbished and it works and looks great! If anyone's interested, I'll post pictures of the finished product.

Comment

How was the pull sleep button repaired Warp2063?

Just posted the exact same problem with my Sony I'm restoring.

Comment

Originally posted by Twemcopal View Post
        How was the pull sleep button repaired Warp2063?

Just posted the exact same problem with my Sony I'm restoring.
        It was replaced with a metal piece; I assume a donor from another clock.

Click image for larger version  Name:	plastic broken.jpg Views:	29 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	7543Click image for larger version  Name:	metal replacement.jpg Views:	26 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	7544

Comment

My Sony had the exact same problem.

I remembered I had some JB Weld left over from a previous project. So I mixed some up. It set rock solid!
          Problem solved.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190109_073250.jpg Views:	35 Size:	126.3 KB ID:	7546Click image for larger version  Name:	20190109_073238.jpg Views:	24 Size:	127.2 KB ID:	7547

Comment

My Sony TFM-C480E had the exact same problem., the snooze pull tab has broken free.

Comment

In this model the lens can come off, but the black part at the back is separated from the cabinet or not ...?
              Last edited by henrypal; July 26, 2020, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X