Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help with Bodet time month day clock gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help with Bodet time month day clock gears

I just acquired a Bodet style flip clock with time, month, day. From what I can gather the time portion gear assembly is turning some of the gears but unable to change the time. I think that the final gear to change the time just spins. I am by trade a motorcycle mechanic who does not have a lot of experience with clocks. I'm always interested in taking things apart and putting them back together correctly. Just wondering if it would be easier to buy a new gear pack assembly? where would you buy it? so many questions? tough to find info?

Could it be a slave clock? and only could set by way of a master clock? If it has a way to set the time/date on the back of it then that is a no. I had the same problem years ago when I got my first slave clock.

Comment

Not a slave clock due to the fact
      it takes two c batteries. I'm looking for a replacement time movement piece. Any idea where I should look?
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Maplemonty, welcome!

Usually when a gear keeps spinning, it is completely worn... This you can see and is uncommon for this type of clock.

Were you able to open up the mechanism? It will be tough to find a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by MAPLEMONTY View Post
          Not a slave clock due to the fact
          it takes two c batteries. I'm looking for a replacement time movement piece. Any idea where I should look?
          you are correct I don't know of any slave clock that would need battery's to run on. Sorry I don't know were you could find a replacement movement.

Comment

Hello:

The clock has to be vertical (like on a wall) to operate correctly. In addition, the cover has to be firmly attached for the date, and month function to operate (There is a safety switch operated by the cover panel).

I attach the Operating Instructions which may help you. Sadly BODET no longer have any new or used spare parts. But I think you should be able to get your clock working.

UPDATE: I found mine was running slowly and some application of graphite on the spinals holding the flips resulted in the clock operating accurately and on time now for 3 days. In addition I removed the 1.5V x 2 rechargeable button type batteries as they had leaked, and now just run the clock from two AA batteries, as the clock mechanism is 3V.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by bambi01; January 17, 2018, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys I will continue to work on this an update with hopeful sucess.

Comment

I completed the restoration of my 1996 Bodet.

The unit arrived damaged from shipping with cracks and pieces missing on the white PVC case and the clear acrylic cover.

I cleaned and lubricated the flips with graphite.
                I removed the two old leaky 1.5V NiCd batteries and the AC power board.
                I placed two 'D' cells in the unit and have it running from batteries.
                The acrylic cover was damaged in transport so I removed it.
                I placed some sound level reducing foam in the clock to make the 'tick-tock" less noisy
                And I painted the white case cover a black color.
                The unit is working well now and it keeps good time.

Attached Files

Comment

Good work!
                  ~ Mackey Site Administrator
                  If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
                  If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
                  X