Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panasonic RC-6030 sleep timer doesn't function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic RC-6030 sleep timer doesn't function

The sleep timer doesn't function. If I turn it counterclockwise, the radio will turn on, but it never winds down to turn the radio off. Is there anything I can do to it to make it work again? Appreciate any help.

I'm going to take a look at this. I'll see if there's anything obvious. I'll get back to you ASAP.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

FlipFan23 I made a video with possible things to look at.

Comment

Thank you very much for examining the sleep timer and for the clear video analysis of what could be happening. It's very cool to see how they engineered it to work. I'll take the cover off when I get a chance and see if i can isolate the issue and post an update here on my findings.

Comment

I'm interested to see what you find.

Comment

I don't have a lot of experience with Panasonics, but with the GE's that I have, the sleep function works great. But it also does a great job of waking you back up when the switch flips off after 30 or 60 minutes. Mine are loud!!!

Comment

Ok, here's my update, I opened the clock and verified that the large black gear is in fact turning with the clock motor, and this is turning the large beige gear. In addition, the smaller gear engages with the teeth on the knob-driven gear (see 1st picture).

The problem is when it gets past its last tooth (see 2nd photo), I believe the sleep knob is supposed to complete its last little bit of unwinding with spring action, and it's not doing so. In other words, if I set the sleep timer to 60 minutes, the gears will wind it down by 59+ minutes, but then at the very end it doesn't do the final snap to 0.

So, I think one possibility is that one or more springs is fatigued. I cleaned every moving part in the area and I also applied some silicone grease to the contact point between the switch and sleep rotor (see 3rd picture). I also sprayed some plastic-safe silicone spray where I thought it might help. Unfortunately, I can't quite get it to turn off on its own, though it did shut off once when I banged on the table.

Comment

You did about everything possible, I think.... but I'm wondering if you could file down or shave off the last gear tooth to make it drop
                But on second thought. ... that wouldn't be the problem. It would have already cleared the gear.
                But you could sand down the part of the wheel that is pushing the button in. You'd think the grease would do it, but increasing the slope just a little might work...
                Not much room to work there though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	4416

Comment

You know, that's a very smart idea. I will consider that. Concerns are, like you said, there's not much room, plus I'd worry a little about the filings getting everywhere. I have to figure out what to use to file the plastic down. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Figure a way to increase the tension on the helper spring.

Jeremy

Comment

I explored that as per your suggestion, Jeremy, but didn't see an easy way to do it. I'm going to put this project on the back burner right now and will revisit when I have time. Honestly, the sleep timer is a nice-to-have, but not really necessary, and the clock functions perfectly otherwise. Thanks for your help, everyone.

Comment

I used to have the same problem with my Panasonic RC-6001. What I did to remedy the issue was by adjusting the switch (see attachment) rightward, so the wheel became easier to rotate against the sliding switch. I simply used a plier to tighten up the four clips.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X