Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panasonic RC-6045 New Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic RC-6045 New Member

Hi friends.

My name is Dave. I'm used to restoring old gear like amps, Hammond tonewheel organs (so I know all about synchronous motors), transistor combo organs etc but am now hoping to turn my hand to restoring a "working" Panasonic RC-6045 that I purchased cheap on ebay. I have tried a search on here but have not succeeded in finding anything on this model that looks similar to the classic woodgrain Panasonics of the early eighties. I've attached a couple of pictures (I hope that is okay). Usually when I start a project I search out a schematic. I'm guessing they aren't in circulation for these models. My primary question is help sourcing a bulb for this model. I'm guessing that no-one will know if this model hasn't been discussed on this forum. If anyone can tell me of any similar models I will search for info on those.

I was also wondering whether there was a timeline of Panasonic flip clocks so that I could see where mine sits in the pecking order.

I have already browsed the site as a guest and taken note of cleaning motors with alcohol (I have done this on Hammond organ synchronous motors) and about the inverter that I will need for operation in the UK where I live. I have ordered a 1930 from Ken's Clock Services.

Thanks for reading
    Best regards
    Dave
    Attached Files

Of course you're welcome to upload pictures!
    The RC-6040 will use the same bulb as the RC-6015, RC-6010, RC-6025, RC-6035 and a few others. The 12 Vold 50mA 5.5mm Diameter incandescent bulb. The one I use is the Miniatronics Corporation Model 18-024-20.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1586.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	4267Click image for larger version

Name:	bulb.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	4268
    There are many online sources for this bulb. I'd send you one but it would be way to expensive to mail overseas for just one bulb.

The clock itself is comparable to any of the above mentioned clocks. It's a decent quality clock with a fine copal mechanism and decent sound from just one 8 ohm 3.5 inch speaker. However, it's historically not a sought after model and typically does not command high prices. The person who would want to drop a load of cash on that model is the one who owned one as a kid.

As far as the motor thing. Before the alcohol, try just a drop of lightweight oil down towards the axle of the motor from the front. Often this will fix the problem.

Thanks for joining!
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Thank you Mackey for the warm welcome. I managed to find a pack of 20 bulbs on ebay exactly the same as you have shown. I think I am all set now. I just need to wait for the bulbs, clock and inverter to arrive in the post.

I will put some Hammond organ oil (turbine oil) on the motor axle. This also helped quieten the motor on a Conn Strobotuner ST12 that I have just serviced.

Thanks also for taking the time to photograph the bulb and packaging for me as well as the background info.

Also I am just wondering how many bulbs there are in these units - Will there be a couple to change for the radio as well? Typical ebay seller said they can't work out how to turn the light on!

Best regards
      Dave

Comment

Hey Dave.
        No, just one light for the digits that is lit whenever the clock radio is plugged in.

Comment

Hi friends. Well my Flip Clock came today! I already received the 1930 inverter from Ken's Clocks on Saturday so was good to go. I changed the bulb using one of the bulbs that Mackey recommended and now have illumination. The clock appears to keep time with my iphone which is a relief after all the globetrotting this little fella has done.

I do have a question though. The radio buzzes and varies in tone as I scan the band however I cannot tune in to a station. While the lid was off I noticed in the back corner a row of three holes with C B A written above them. Underneath it said ANT. There were two short bits of red wire sticking out of B and A holes - by short I mean an eighth of an inch. I soldered a two foot long length of 20awg wire into each of the B and A holes. These wires are not joined at the other end. I still cannot tune in to a station but got a couple of brief bursts of distant radio when I held them up in the air.

Should I join the ends of the wires together? Should a US radio work straight off the boat or would it need trimmers adjusting? If neither of these make any difference I guess the radio would need a rebuild!

Thanks for reading.

Best
          Dave

Comment

Often you just need to spray some contact cleaner on the AM/FM selector switch and work it back and forth. The clock should be able to pick up stations without added extra line to the antenna leads. You could connect the two together without problem although that's not necessary. Let me know if you have any other questions/problems Dave (Vintagekeys )

Comment

Working...
            X