Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SONY TFM C650WL] Gearbox repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SONY TFM C650WL] Gearbox repair

SONY TFM C650WL with a COPAL GX-2353 (220v 50Hz)

Hi everyone,

I just bought this clock for parts and i found the problem : the first doublegear of the copal gearbox is damaged.
    According to the dimensions, that's a T40 / T10 with a 0.25 MOD.
    I cannot find any source for this type a gear online. I need help !

Some pictures : https://photos.app.goo.gl/9a84BxTDLS9gyNOF2
    (i also pictured the second gear (close to be the same))

Thanks in advance for your help / remarks

Daniel from Marseille (FR)

Not the easiest but perhaps you could mold the good second gear to get something usable. Something like:

I don't know off hand anywhere that carries that size.

Comment

it looks not so easy for my case... especially for that size and without this kind of vacuum

Comment

I finnaly found a T40 gear (0.25M) in a lab clock (looks like a odometer / trip meter)
        i succeeded to put the original T10 gear on it (by reversing it)

i added a photoshoped pic on the google photo folder.

Clock works but i have to clean the motor because it fails sometime to start up

Comment

Thanks for sharing what you ended up doing, hopefully it keeps time for you once cleaned.

Comment

I'm happy to hear you have found the gear you need. I got a quote from a guy who could make the gear, but it would be very expensive (30 Euros for 2 gears).
            SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

That's very expensive.
              Wait and stay tuned is the best way to find this kind of stuff.
              we can find them everywhere, but they are well hidden in unsuspected places.

I wanted to lubricate the engine but it is the opposite that must be made. (the motor have a very low torque)
              Today i'll received an isotropic alcohol bottle today to fix it.

Comment

Dancorp Hi,
                I recently purchased Sony TFM-C650W with the same motor - COPAL GX-2353. The clock isn't working.
                All the gears are intact and function, and the whole mechanism works if I manually start the shaft.
                It seems very similar to the problem you had.
                But I don't understand how to disassemble the electric motor to clean it.
                Should I just forcefully remove everything from the shaft, or is there another way?
                Thank you!

Comment

In the below video you see how you can take the motor apart, but hopefully you don't need to and just lubricating it with a little oil is enough (see around 3:30 in the video).

If that does not get the motor to run reliably, you may need to replace the bearings: https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/...-a-copal-motor This post also shows another take on how to take the motor apart.

Comment

Johan de Jong Thank you!
                    Lubricating with some oil actually helped, I didn't have to disassemble it

Comment

Working...
                    X