Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flip Clock Restoration Tips and Tricks - Fixing Flip Tiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an amazing breakthrough in flip clock restoration and has the potential to save restorers of flip clocks loads of money (no more buying clocks just to get a replacement tile). We at FlipClockFans.com have pioneered a new and exciting way to fix flip tiles with broken tabs.

What we're using is known method of using super glue (cyanoacrylate) with an accelerant (in this case, baking soda). Using the two substances together is a well documented way to create an extremely strong bond - super glue and baking soda.

The combination of the super glue and soda results in an almost instant bond with the tile and with repeated applications creates a very strong artificial tab. The tab is finished to match the other side with careful removal of extra material with sandpaper.

Taking your time, in a matter of about 18 minutes from start to finish, you can completely and essentially invisibly repair a flip tile with a missing tab.

It's hard to explain and you need to watch the video to see the process.

~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

That's a fascinating technique. I might have covered the painted numbers with scotch tape or a post-it note to protect the print during the sanding process.

Comment

Cool stuff, I've seen the baking soda/super glue sometimes in musical instrument repair. There is a black tinted super glue sold in that niche by the brand StewMac, pen blank making has some black CA glue under the brand Stick Fast. I have a couple clocks that don't come up often in a bad enough shape to part out so I'll probably give this a try. One thing that might work is getting something like a hot water moldable plastic that won't mar the tile. Press the good side with the tab into the material, then flip the tile and use the mold of the tab to pour in the CA, may reduce the sanding down part. I'll share when I give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroFlip View Post
        Cool stuff, I've seen the baking soda/super glue sometimes in musical instrument repair. There is a black tinted super glue sold in that niche by the brand StewMac, pen blank making has some black CA glue under the brand Stick Fast. I have a couple clocks that don't come up often in a bad enough shape to part out so I'll probably give this a try. One thing that might work is getting something like a hot water moldable plastic that won't mar the tile. Press the good side with the tab into the material, then flip the tile and use the mold of the tab to pour in the CA, may reduce the sanding down part. I'll share when I give it a try.
        I thought about this but I'm afraid that the glue will quickly wick onto the tile. Let us know if you do this. It really didnt' take that long to do the way I did it. If I hadn't been making a video, it would have taken half the time. My technique is very quick and inexpensive.

Originally posted by nx_2000 View Post
        That's a fascinating technique. I might have covered the painted numbers with scotch tape or a post-it note to protect the print during the sanding process.
        This is a good idea, and I was going to use Frog Tape (my favorite) but if you're careful there is no damage to the tile.

Comment

Wow, it looks better than when I cut up an old tile, sand both parts down, glue them together and sand them down again.

Will give that a try!

Comment

Really impressive! thanks!
            If the flip piece is missing do you have any advise in fabricating it from scratch?
            I do need bottom pieces of minute 08 & 48 of a Panasonic RC-6551.

Thanks so much!

Hans

Comment

hcolletm No. But I think I can get that for you. PM me your Name and address

Comment

I have tried the baking soda method a couple of times now, but I still need practice, both times, the repair let go again after a couple of days/ a week... Maybe it was because I tried it on the old, white tiles for example in the Copal/Caslon 201, they are of a different material.

I will try again on a thinner, black flap :-)

Comment

I think the thing is, you have to find something that will strongly adhere to the tile first. The superglue works on the black tiles I tried.

Comment

Thank you for the video! I was able to fix two tiles this way and they look great!

Comment

• Mackey
                      Mackey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks!
                  Working...
                  X