Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Noisy Motor On A Sony TFM-C580E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Noisy Motor On A Sony TFM-C580E

Hi.

My first time on this forum and I'm looking for help for my lovely Sony clock radio. I've had this for a long time, 10-15 years I think, and in the past months it has become increasingly noisy. I have tried all the recommended fixes for noisy motors that I found online, cleaning in alcohol, applying 3-in-1, and the noise disappeared for a short time but now it's noisier than ever.

I think I need to admit that the motor is past its best but I'm not sure where to go to find a replacement. Is it possible to buy these now or is there an alternative? Or does someone have a NOS supply somewhere? Any advice and help would be very gratefully received as this is my bedside clock and it's such a nice thing to have. It also kept great time.

Thanks

It'd be nice to have a picture of what the motor looks like. There are new old stock mechanisms on eBay, but you're looking at paying 19 to 29 dollars for these. Of course, we'd have to make sure it was the correct motor.

Other than that, or buying another clock of that model that happens to be working ... there is no one selling replacement motors for individual clocks. There's just no market for this, unfortunately.

There are places that sell synchronous motors, but you have to find a motor that actually fit the mechanism (as well as it being the correct RPMs, and having the main gear in the right place and the right number of teeth).

If you can get a picture of the motor and any identifying numbers on the motor. I have a pretty fair stock of stuff ... not that many Sony's but I do have stuff... Maybe someone else who stumbles upon this post will be able to help you, eventually.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

If you can send a pic I think I have one of these around also. I could get it to you for a couple bucks if you're interested !

Comment

Mackey and 12River0520, I would like to thank you for your replies but something very strange has happened! Shortly before I wrote my original post, I thought that I would take one last look at the clock, just to make sure. So, I opened it up again and, not being able to find the 3-in-1, I used the same oil that I use for the tonewheel generator in my Hammond organ. I oiled the spinning part of the motor and the gearbox but it was still noisy, so I put the clock back together, replaced it on my bedside table and went to write my post.

After I'd written the post, I went through to the bedroom and suddenly realised that I could no longer hear the clock. Not only had the knocking/rattling sound disappeared, it was running quieter than it had in months. It's now 2 days on and the clock is still running as silent as ever.

It would be a god idea to have a spare motor anyway so I have attached some pics but I'm not sure they're any good as they don't show the numbers that appear on the motor so let me know if you need me to take some more pics.

12River0520, I'm in the UK so I think it would cost more than a "couple of bucks" but, if you have something that matches, perhaps you could let me know the total cost, including shipping to Scotland?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X