Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Electric 7-4410A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Electric 7-4410A

I found this clock in a flea market, as is. It has been working well for a few days. Last night the motor started making a loud grinding noise. Also, the alarm is out of sync with the clock ( meaning it will go off at 11:00 even though I set the alarm to 5). How should I go about repairing the motor and alarm?

How to work on the motor, it depends on what type of motor is in there.... Most likely a Copal. Is it just some noise of a possible 'unbalance' in the motor or is it really grinding? When it is really grinding, it might mean that there are some (possible plastic) sprockets dying out on you and that is not good, but they usually are really worn down when they start making that noise.

Open op the clock and check visually and of course by ear what is causing the noise.

Good luck!

Comment

I just opened up the clock to look at the motor- it is a copal. I think you are right the rotor appears to be unbalanced. Now making a loud whirring

Comment

I would put a little oil just inside wheel where it will drip down toward the axle and let it run a bit. You can re-balance the wheel but it's easy to overdo this. Just gentle adjustments, little pressure here and there. It's hard to describe.
        ~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Hi flip clock fans, I have an early 70s ge flip clock with a copal movement. The alarm goes off 5 hours after it is set. Any idea how to fix this?

Comment

Yes. But it'd be better if you could let us know the model number or include a picture.
            These kind of fixes are not easily explained and if I have the model you're talking about I may be able to make a "how to" video.

Comment

Sorry I forgot to mention it. It's a ge 7-4410a. Same clock I posted about a few weeks back

Comment

Hey Connor I moved your new posts to your original post about the 7-4410a to keep all the information in one place. I'm going to dig around and see if I have a 4410 (Got to go down to the dungeon to look).

Comment

I put together a video to detail a possible fix for your problem.
                  I hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks Mackey!

Comment

Working...
                    X