Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony 8FC-69WA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony 8FC-69WA

Hello flip clock fans , I need some help !
    Im restoring a SONY 8FC-69WA and I'm trying to find out what bulbs are used for the radio display and for the alarm set? The one by the alarm is a green bulb and the other two for the radio are white bulbs . ANY help would be great, this is the last parts I need to complete this project !

Thanks flip clock fans
    cheers Shane

Oh lawd.
    I've got two of those laying around here.
    Let me break one out and see what we got.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Ok, most likely you're not going to be able to find exact replacements. Jeremy found some green bulbs for train hobbyists that will probably work (see this link). You can get those bulbs on ebay (click to go to listing). On the clock digits is the good old orange neon glow bulb. The other two above the radio dial are probably 6V. They're bulbs with a metal base. You could use the same as the replacement for the digit light on the RC-6015/6025 and others, the Miniatronics 12V 5mm bulbs (see ebay listing). The 12 V is fine for 6-9 V applications. They'll actually last longer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	whitelights.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	2894Click image for larger version

Name:	green.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	2895

Comment

I would use a multimeter to check the voltage before you try a replacement lamp. I used model railroad grain of wheat bulbs that are 12-15v. The bulb is really dim which leads me to believe that it should be a much lower volt bulb. I am currently working on a Sony ICF-C670W and it uses a similar grain of wheat bulb for clock illumination. I checked the bulb circuit with a multimeter and it is only 5v!

Jeremy

Comment

Thanks Guys ! I really appreciate your speedy responses. I will try these out and post pics of the finished restoration.

Cheers Shane

Comment

I am actually making some of these green bulbs.
            I need 12River0520 and Jeremy to PM your address if you want me to sent you one or two for testing.
            The bulbs are 6V 40 mAmp 5.5mm diameter.

I went to a train hobby shop and asked the guru. He pointed me to some special paint and told me how Lionel (toy train company) used to just dip the bulbs..

Comment

Mackey , thanks a ton , I'll send you a email with my address in a min, cheers
              Shane

Comment

I have tried and tried painting these 6 volt bulbs with this special "clear green paint" but the results are pitiful. I am actually seeing that permanent green marker is making a very nice green bulb. I'm going to get a few out to Jeremy and Shane for testing.

Comment

Thanks Mackey for your help on these !

Cheers,
                  Shane

Comment

Just for the record ....

The first reference that I can find about this clock was in November1968. I'm pretty sure this clock was introduced in 1968.

Newspaper: The Sedalia Democrat
                    (Sedalia, Missouri)
                    27 Nov 1968, Wed • Page 25

$59.95 in 1968 had the same buying power as about $427 in 2017
                    from dollartimes.com

I'm not sure if there's a distinction between a 8FC69W and a 8FC69WA - the following ad seems to use the numbers interchangeably.

(click image for larger view)
                    Newspaper: Freeport Journal-Standard
                    (Freeport, Illinois)
                    16 Dec 1969, Tue • Page 16

$59.95 in 1969 had the same buying power as about $408 in 2017
                    from dollartimes.com

Comment

here is the final restoration of my sony 8FC-69WA. Mackey the lights worked out great. This might be one of my favorite clocks to restore. Thanks Mackey and Jeremy for all your help.

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...pshnkabmsv.jpg

Comment

That's one of the best looking of those models that I've seen. Great work!

Comment

Thanks Mackey ! Thanks for your dedication to this hobby and your help on this clock

Comment

Plastic face was polished using plastiX that I picked up at the local auto store. I actually used that to polish all the knobs as well.
                            The wood cabinet was cleaned with Murphys oil soap several times and to maintain thhe wood I just wiped it down with leinseed oil. Cleaned inside and out. All new lights Via Mackey and Jeremy on here. Motor wasn't running so gave it a good cleaning a good lawd it started ticking. All contacts were cleaned and lubed. Radio sounds great no static.

Cheers, Shane

Comment

Working...
                            X