Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White Case Restoration w/ Salon Care 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Case Restoration w/ Salon Care 40

I know that restoring yellowed/sunburned plastic cases has been covered before, but this is my first time so I wanted to share (every boy wants to brag about his first time).

I got a Sony TFM-C650W cheap on eBay because the clock was stopped. Seller described the clock as "yellow" and had some crappy pictures that did not reveal the clock's true condition. The clock was originally white, but had been exposed to UV light at a very specific angle for many years. Looking at the clock side of the case there was a vibrant white "shadow" left where the set knob had blocked the light.

A little research revealed that certain older plastics yellow because of instability in the chemical make up of the plastic. ABS plastic has to have brominated flame retardant compounds (BFRs) added to it to prevent it from catching on fire. These BFRs can degrade when exposed to uv light and turn yellow/brown.

Interestingly enough you can reverse the chemical process that causes the yellowing by covering the material in hydrogen peroxide and exposing it to sunlight (uv). Regular drug store hydrogen peroxide is not strong enough, and you need something that will stick to the plastic during treatment. One option is a home made hydrogen peroxide concoction called Retr0bright that many people have used with success on old game consoles. If you are a hardcore DIYer you can get the recipe online and go out and gather the Retr0bright ingredients and mix up a batch, or you can just go to the beauty supply shop and buy Salon Care 40 Volume Creme Developer for $4 instead. Salon Care is a nice sticky high concentration hydrogen peroxide solution.

I disassembled the clock, washed the case with soap and water, then painted the Salon Care on the case and placed it in a ziplock bag. I was only able to get direct sunlight on the case for about 5 hours, so I repeated the process the next day with fresh Salon Care.
    I am pretty happy with the results.

Clock side of case before:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Case1A.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	2742

Clock side of case after 5 hours:

Name:	Case1B.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	2743

Clock side of case after 10 hours:

Name:	Case1C.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	2744

Jeremy

Front of case before:

Name:	Case2A.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	2746

Front of case after 5 hours:

Name:	Case2B.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	2747

Front of case after 10 hours:

Name:	Case2C.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	2748

Jeremy

Comment

Top of case before:

Name:	Case3A.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	2750

Top of case after 5 hours:

Name:	Case3B.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	2751

Top of case after 10 hours:

Name:	Case3C.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	2752

Jeremy

Comment

Good to see some pictures of this process as I'm getting ready to do the same thing on several clocks that have clear yellowing. Did you need to avoid the top printed text or mask them off at all?

Comment

Fantastic explanation and excellent demonstration of this process Jeremy. A few of us have discussed this process before here, and I've known about if for a while (used to fix up RC6025's this way)! But I really appreciate this great before and after!
          This is the kind of information that used to be a secret in the world of flip clock restoration. But this is why we're here! Helping eachother and others out there keeping these relics going.

There actually is a "50" version of this stuff that is so strong that they will only sell it to people with a license to perform cosmology. Seriously! It's evidently that dangerous (to hair, skin and eyes). My son's fiance just got her license (Yes!).

Again, thanks Jeremy!
          ~ Mackey Site Administrator
          If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
          If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Originally posted by RetroFlip View Post
            Good to see some pictures of this process as I'm getting ready to do the same thing on several clocks that have clear yellowing. Did you need to avoid the top printed text or mask them off at all?
            I'll let Jeremy answer too, of course, but personally, I've never had to worry about the print on the clocks. The peroxide works on the plastic and doesn't seem to affect paint.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroFlip View Post
              As Mackey noted, there is no need to protect the printed text.

Jeremy

Comment

Had never heard of this method before! I have done it several times with sanding it down to 1200 fine sanding paper, but this is VERY time consuming.

I have an old busted/broken flip clock laying about, will try this next week.

Will it also work on other colours?

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
                  . . .

That's an interesting question. Someone needs to try it and report back.

Comment

I suspect not as well as it does on white/beige, but since I am going to buy a liter of the stuff anyway, I might as well try on a spares/donor-clock.... Will keep you posted :-)

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
                      Yes. The sleep timer on the Digimatic is gray, and it was browned on the side facing the light source. The Salon Care removed the discoloration. I did not take a before picture so I have no record of the improvement.

Jeremy

Comment

Hello gents,
                        Are metal/Aluminum plates affected by the Peroxide? What about the silver portion in the white/silver knobs?
                        I am thinking of removing some plates but perhaps they will bend and after won´t look so good. So better cover them with masking tape?
                        Thx!
                        Hans

Comment

I used Salon Care 40 on a Panasonic with aluminum trim. The trim was already oxidized so I am not sure if the peroxide had an effect on it or not, but it seemed like it might have made it worse. I would be careful.

Jeremy

Comment

Originally posted by hcolletm View Post
                            Hello gents,
                            Are metal/Aluminum plates affected by the Peroxide? What about the silver portion in the white/silver knobs?
                            I am thinking of removing some plates but perhaps they will bend and after won´t look so good. So better cover them with masking tape?
                            Thx!
                            Hans

I'm with Jeremy on this one. Be careful. And Like you mentioned Hans, removing the trim may damage them. I have removed the trim successfully on many clocks but only when I could tell they were already loose. The "sliver" on the knobs is likely chrome, and it should be ok, but I wouldn't guarantee that.

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback!

Comment

Working...
                              X