Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony TFM-C650W Green Lamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony TFM-C650W Green Lamps

My newest project is a 1974 Sony TFM-C650W. Got it cheap because clock was stopped, alcohol fixed that PDQ. Dial neon is dim, new Mackey bulbs on the way to fix that. Alarm and radio dial use little green tinted wired incandescent bulbs. Alarm lamp works, dial lamp is out.
    Are these just "Grain of Wheat" bulbs?
    Green grain of wheat bulbs are used in model railroading and are plentiful on eBay, but what voltage do I need? The radio has a transformer, but it does not state on it what voltage it is dropping to.

Here is my bulb:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3266.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	2717

Here is a "grain of Wheat" bulb:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600-5.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	2718

Thanks,

Jeremy

Those should work perfect. Get a volt meter and check if you want or just go for it. I've replaced one of those green bulbs with a white one that I painted green with bulb paint. But looks like you got the right stuff.
    In my experience your either dealing with 6, 9 or 12 volt dc when the leads are coming off the circuit board.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

The 12-15v lamps I got are pretty dim, so they probably should be a much lower voltage. I did not have a multimeter at the time and tried to wing it. The current Sony I am working on is putting out just 4.5v to its lamp so I think a 5v lamp is in order.

Jeremy

Comment

Working...
      X