Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal Flip Clock repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal Flip Clock repair

Found a broken flip clock at goodwill and am trying to breath new life into it.

1) The time adjust is really stiff. I was trying to get the panels reset so that the panels flipped at the right time but I seem to have made it worse. Any idea what I did to cause this to happen?

2) The motor of the flip clock works fine. But I noticed the final gear that connects to the clock mechanism is cracked and is in need of replacement. What is a good way to open up the gear box? It appears that it is completely enclosed.
    Attached Files

There are some folks here that have gotten into the gears. They've described drilling out the places where those posts are. I guess you could try to create thread and replace the rivets with screws.

My position is that they're never quite right after all that. Others have described it working but making noise (I don't mean necessarily on your particular model).

If that were mine, I'd consider that firstly, it's working. Maybe you could epoxy that place where the gear has split and It'll last another 40 years (of course, any glue on the other gears and it's destroyed.

While I can't say for sure why your mechanism is buggered up. I had a couple cases where they were so full of dust (one, I'm sure it was drywall dust) that they seized up. I actually washed it out with water then cleaned each individual tile with Q-tips. Took some time and still needed to dry out for a while but it eventually worked better.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Thanks, I will give it a shot!

Comment

Working...
      X